Anna Turner walks Gordy, a pitbull mix, in front of The Athens County Dog Shelter in Chauncey. (FILE)

Homemade dog treat sale will donate all proceeds to Coolville dogs

People can help canine friends by dropping by Little Fish Brewing Company on Tuesday and buying something other than a pint of beer.

Little Fish will sell homemade dog treats from 5 to 8 p.m., and all proceeds will support the Athens County Dog Shelter, which recently took in 100 dogs rescued from a Coolville home.

Jimmy Stockwell, co-founder of Little Fish, said it’s “hard to imagine” that so many dogs were found at the house.

“It’s really critical that they get the supplies and support that they need,” he said.

All of the dogs will have access to medical attention, grooming and a suitable living environment while the Athens Municipal Court comes to a decision, according to a statement from Chief Dog Warden Mary Beth Brown.

Kalei Edenfield, public image chair at Athens Sunrise Rotary, said the special event was organized specifically by the club to raise money for the shelter after the influx of dogs.

“One of our rotarians got word that the incident in Coolville happened and immediately just sent a text out to everyone in the group and was like, ‘What can we do to help?’” she said. “That day, we created flyers and started talking to people and got this in the works.”

Other events arranged by Athens Sunrise Rotary might not donate all earnings to the cause, but Edenfield said she knows some dogs will need extra care and the shelter could use any support.

“Just as a dog lover, I would love to see all these dogs get a new home,” she said.

Teresa Wilson, a junior studying integrated health studies who is a member of Athens Sunrise Rotary, said she heard about the plans for the bake sale before looking up the Coolville news. She said some members of Ohio University Rotaract Club, the OU chapter of Rotary International for ages 18 to 30, will join her at the bake sale in support of the dogs.

She lives a 20-minute drive away from Athens with her dog Reiner, an energetic chihuahua and miniature pinscher mixed breed, named after the flea market where she adopted him.

“I’m hoping to bring him to the event,” Wilson said. “We’ll see how he’s feeling (because) he’s been a little under the weather lately.”

Edenfield said some club members came together Sunday, baking most of the event’s dog treats such as cheesy recipes and cupcakes with dog bones on top. People who don’t own dogs can also stop by for baked goods meant for humans.

“Even if you don’t have a dog, just come get a beer and hang out with puppies,” Wilson said.

@marvelllousmeg

mm512815@ohio.edu