President Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Aug. 30, 2017.

Student Senate: Duane Nellis to speak at meeting

Correction appended.

Ohio University’s 21st President Duane Nellis will address OU Student Senate at its meeting Wednesday.

That will be Nellis’ first time speaking to Student Senate this semester. 

Although they may not be discussed in this week’s meeting, Student Senate President Landen Lama said many initiatives are being addressed by commissions and are at varying levels of completion.

The Academic Affairs Commission is working with the university to update the Reading Day schedule to include a fall break. Neighboring schools like Ohio State, West Virginia and Miami universities all have fall recesses in mid-to-late November.

In upcoming meetings, senate will discuss partnerships with restaurants on Court Street that would allow students to spend Bobcat Cash on certain off-campus meals.

The University Life Commission plans to add stops to the bus loop system on campus by the end of this semester.

Student Senate is undergoing “large reform measures” and is currently in the process of rewriting their constitution, Lama said.

The senate will also vote on four resolutions Wednesday, two of which will appoint members to the International Affairs and Off-Campus Commissions. One resolution will create a Regional Campus Affairs Commission.

Another resolution will be to purchase pizza for the Ohio Women’s Alliance, an event hosted by the Women’s Affairs Commission.

@flannery_

fj206516@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misstated the makeup of Student Senate and who is addressing initiatives at this week's meeting. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.