Earlier in the week, coach Sean Hogan said Pittsburgh had the skill and speed to keep up with the Bobcats throughout the weekend.

Ohio didn't make it look that way.

The Bobcats outshot and outscored Panthers by 77-33 and 14-1 margins, respectively, on the weekend in a display of pure offensive dominance.

Amid the "January hockey" Hogan has spoken about, the Bobcats performed to near-perfection this weekend.

“It feels good to get a sweep like this,” Hogan said. “We scored (14) goals in one weekend, which is pretty good.”

In Friday's game, the Bobcats had 11 different skaters end up on the scoresheet, including two-point nights from forwards Gianni Evangelisti, Timmy Thurnau, Tyler Harkins and Mike Palasics.

Saturday’s contest wasn’t much different, as 12 Bobcats finished with at least one point of offense.

“It’s fun winning and beating a team like Pitt,” Harkins said. “I think the past two weekends we haven’t been scoring as much as we can; I think a weekend like this will put us back on track.”

Harkins, who had three points on the weekend, is in second place on the team in terms of total points with 32.

In terms of the aforementioned past few weeks by Harkins, Ohio scored 13 goals in those two weeks. Against Pitt, it scored 14 in two days.

“I felt like we came out flat,” Hogan said last weekend after the Bobcats 5-4 loss. “I felt like we came out with some fire and standing up for one another, but we need to channel it better.”

In its first two weekends of 2018, Ohio gave up 15 goals and, after getting back to basics at practice this past week, it only gave up one goal in two nights.

“We’re at our best when we get back the pucks and have good, clean breakouts,” Hogan said. “We had a lot of middle drives, and that’s where a majority of our goals came from.”

While a quick turnaround in offensive production, Hogan knows that tougher roads lie ahead.

“A good weekend, but our biggest weekend is next week against Robert Morris (Illinois),” Hogan said. “Robert Morris is No. 4 and we’re No. 5; we need to be in that top four.”

The top four spots are crucial in terms of national playoffs as, in the American Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs, the top four teams get a first-round bye. For a short-handed Ohio roster, a first-round bye is exactly what they would need in order to make a deep run in the tournament.

While the ACHA playoffs aren’t until the beginning of March, the Bobcats (20-7-1) still have to finish out the regular season with three more league series: Robert Morris, No. 10 Iowa State and No. 9 Illinois.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu