On a High Note: Live music must live on

It’s hard to capture and keep millennials' attention, and it’s hard to motivate us to do much of anything that involves leaving the couch. When I ask my friends to come to concerts with me, they say they don’t want to spend the money, but I don’t think they realize what they’re missing. Live music can be life-changing, and it’s worth every penny.

When I was 13, I saw my first show, at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Taylor Swift sang “Last Kiss” to 40,000 people with an acoustic guitar and no band. I looked around and realized that everyone was crying. I knew then, without a shadow of a doubt, that I wanted to be a writer. I wanted to make people feel something with my words someday, too.

Live shows can be a religious experience. They can make you deal with things you’ve been bottling up. They can make you realize things about yourself. They can make you feel less alone for an hour or two, and they can have a lasting effect on your life.

In the modern world, fewer people are going out to live shows than ever before. I think that that’s a shame for a number of reasons.

First of all, with streaming sites like Spotify and Apple Music being the primary way that people now consume music, record sales are at an all-time low. The compensation that writers see for streams is next to nothing. In the modern industry, playing shows is how artists make a living.

But live shows benefit more than just the artist; they create a sense of camaraderie that is unmatched.

I remember going to see Twenty One Pilots play Jacob's Pavilion at Nautica in Cleveland, before the duo blew up. I was a teenager coping with depression, and so were most of the other fans at the show. A lot of the lyrics that frontman Tyler Joseph writes are about struggling with the same disease. Watching those kids sing along to every word, with tears in their eyes, waving signs that said “You saved my life” was an experience unlike any other in my 20 years.

I remember seeing The Rolling Stones play with my parents. I stood next to them, singing along with the most legendary rock band in history. I looked around and saw other families doing the same. There was something so special about a rock show uniting generations, and there is something special about knowing you’re living a once-in-a-lifetime moment while it’s happening.

I could go on forever about all the concert experiences that have helped shape me into who I am. Every time I go see a show, I leave so affected by what I witnessed.

Seeing artists live is so valuable and irreplaceable. I have never felt more loved, supported and at home than I do when I am at a concert; it’s a community that you don’t get to see outside of those venue walls.

Whether it’s a bar or a stadium, I think we all need to support live music. There’s no substitute for the way it makes you feel.

Halle Weber is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What do you love about live shows? Let Halle know by tweeting at her @HalleWeber13.