Ohio men's golf captains Peyton White, left, and Ty Herriott, right, both seniors, pose for a portrait at the Ohio University Driving Range on West State Street on Sept. 21. (FILE)

Men's Golf: Ohio earns best finish of the year

Ohio did not finish in the top half of a tournament all fall, but, in the first one of the spring, the Bobcats tied for seventh out of sixteen at The Invitational at Savannah Harbor in Savannah, Georgia, on Saturday and Sunday.

Consistency was key for Ohio, as the other teams around them had great rounds followed by terrible rounds. Two rounds of 295 and one round of 294 gave Ohio its best three-round score of the year.

Tennessee Tech tied Ohio in seventh at 20 over par but had over a 20-stroke difference in between its best and worst rounds.

Senior Brady Bohl turned in his best single round of the year as he tied for eighteenth overall. Bohl tied for second in both birdies for the tournament with 14 and average on par 3 holes at 3 under par.

Zach Crawford tied Bohl for eighteenth as well with a 3-over-par three-round score. He had his second-lowest individual round and three-round score along with tying for second-best on par 5 holes at 5 under par.

Ohio tied for the fifth-best in par 3 holes with a 3.07 average and 4 strokes over par along with having the fifth-most birdies with 44.

Freshmen Tanner Johnson and Zach Mandry made their debuts in three-round tournaments for Ohio, as well. 

Johnson had competed in the Earl Yestingsmeier Match Play on Feb. 12-13, but this was first time in a three-round tournament. He tied for 51st at 11 over par.

Mandry improved in every round beginning with 9 over par in the first round and ending the tournament with a 1 over par round, including six birdies.

After two tournaments in a span of a week, Ohio has a break before heading off to Pinehurst, North Carolina, for the Pinehurst Intercollegiate on March 9-11. 

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu