The exterior of Hudson Health Center on April 16, 2016. (FILE)

Here are 5 self-care tips to stay on track for midterms week

It’s midterm week, plus Ohio University students have fest season to prepare for. All-nighters and vending machine food are common among students this week studying for the big exams. 

Anxiety and depression are the number one reasons college students seek counseling, according to the Center for Collegiate Mental Health’s annual report. Luckily, OU students have a variety of resources to depend on when all-nighters seem like the only option for passing that exam. Here are 5 self-care tips students can follow this week to survive midterms:

1. Stop by and see Pumpkin

Pumpkin — the “king of Court Street” who lives in the Board of Elections office — is always looking to be petted. Stop by and sign a note in his visitor’s book, and he might sit down and read what you wrote for him. 

2. Don’t forget to relax 

Cramming for exams on four cups of coffee without taking your eyes off the computer screen can take a toll on your physical and mental health. Step outside, take a walk through Emeriti Park and see if anyone’s walking their dog so you can remember your life doesn’t revolve around your grades. 

3. Counseling & Psychological Services

Counseling & Psychological Services is available all year, but its drop-in hours stay the same even during midterms. Anyone can stop in the third floor of Hudson Health Center from 9:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. to speak to a counselor or set up regular appointments. If you don’t have enough time, OU partnered with WellTrack, an interactive online therapy program, so students can track their mood, according to a previous Post report. A lot of pressure builds during midterms without us realizing it, and taking a trip to CPS may be the kick you need to succeed. 

4. Take a break from your phone

A recent Houston Chronicle report highlights three of the main causes for depression and anxiety among college students, and social media was first on the list. Students tend to isolate themselves with overuse of social media, and it can take a serious toll on your health. Recent studies have found cell phone addiction to be one of the causes of sleep disturbance, depression, anxiety and overall stress according to that report. Taking a break from social media can set aside time to enjoy the beauty of Athens campus itself and the friends you’ve made while attending.

5. Grab a friend

Some may say studying alone can be most productive, but studying with a friend can allow you to set goals together for what to do once you’ve finished your work. A study buddy can encourage you to stay off your phone and work on the math you’ve been avoiding. Also, friends tend to ease the stress of midterms just with their presence, so find that friend that makes periods of silence not awkward and get this week over with.

@juIaphant

je827416@ohio.edu