OU President Duane Nellis speaks during the first Student Senate meeting of the year on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate: Members to vote on bill proposing more mental health support resources for student-athletes

Ohio University Student Senate will vote Wednesday on a bill demanding that OU accepts more responsibility for the mental health needs of student-athletes.

The bill requests the formation of a conference committee, backed by Counseling and Psychological Services, that would discuss ways to implement specialized mental health support resources for OU athletes. 

The bill cites data from a survey conducted by the university’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, which states that 98 percent of student-athletes at OU believe “one or more of their teammates could benefit from access to a Sports Psychologist.”

Senate will vote on a bill expressing support for Housing and Residence Life’s expansion of gender neutral housing. Starting in the fall, OU Housing will launch a pilot program that will add gender neutral spaces in Boyd Hall and to newer residence halls on South Green.

Debate will continue about a bill that would express support for the tax exemption of college textbooks. 

Senate will also vote on several resolutions that would amend or add sections to its constitution. 

Other resolutions include updating the duties of the Women’s Affairs Commission, renting the Walter Rotunda for the upcoming Student Senate election and purchasing pizza for an International Affairs Commission event. 

@flanneryjewell

fj206516@ohio.edu