SpaceX launches world’s most powerful rocket. (photo via @elonmusk Instagram)

The Wrap: SpaceX launches groundbreaking rocket, Winter Olympics begin in PyeongChang

In the first full week of February, SpaceX launched another new rocket that could ignite a new space race. Meanwhile, the Winter Olympics are underway in South Korea and Kylie Jenner gave birth to a baby girl. Here’s more information on the week’s top stories:

SpaceX launches world’s most powerful rocket

SpaceX successfully launched a new rocket Tuesday that could change the space exploration landscape.

With 27 engines and 5 million pounds of thrust, SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy is now the world’s most powerful rocket as well as the largest vehicle to be launched by a private company.

The rocket did not contain any life forms, although SpaceX intends to carry humans in updated versions of Falcon Heavy. Later this year, SpaceX will send two paying tourists to the moon in a Falcon Heavy rocket.

“We want a new space race,” SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in a press conference. “Space races are exciting."

Third Amtrak accident in 2 months leaves 2 dead, dozens injured

An Amtrak train crash killed 2 and injured more than 100 people after hitting a stationary vehicle on Sunday. 

National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Robert Sumwalt said an error with the alignment of a rail switch diverted the Amtrak train down the wrong path.

"Key to that investigation is learning why that switch was lined (aligned) that way," Sumwalt said.

This is the third fatal Amtrak accident to happen in the past two months. In December, three people were killed after a train ran off the rails in Tacoma, Washington, and one person died after a train crashed into a garbage truck in Virginia last Wednesday.

2018 Winter Olympics begin, may be coldest in history

The 2018 Winter Olympics are finally underway in PyeongChang, South Korea.

For the first time in history, the games will be broadcast live in all U.S. time zones instead of a delayed replay during primetime slots.

With many Russian athletes banned by the IOC following a doping scandal, Germany is projected to bring home the most medals, followed by Norway and the U.S. 

The games could also have the coldest temperatures ever recorded for Olympic games. Security scanning machines froze up during a rehearsal of the opening ceremony last week.

“I couldn’t stand the cold weather so had to leave in the middle of the rehearsal,”said Cho Hee-Jin, one of the locals attending the rehearsal.

Kylie Jenner announces baby girl, Instagram post becomes most-liked ever

Makeup mogul and social media personality Kylie Jenner and rapper Travis Scott welcomed a baby girl named Stormi.

The couple announced their daughter’s birth via Instagram on Sunday.

A post shared by Kylie (@kyliejenner) on

On Tuesday, Jenner posted a picture with her new daughter on Instagram. The post is currently the most-liked photo in Instagram history.

stormi webster

@Heeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu