Athens City Council members (from left to right) Peter Kotses, President Chris Knisely and Debra Walker listen to Mayor Steve Patterson at the Athens City Council meeting on Jan. 16. (FILE)

City Council: Mayor to apply for several grants to help issues such as stormwater pollution

At its Monday meeting, Athens City Council will discuss allowing Mayor Steve Patterson to apply for grants that could help the city address issues, such as stormwater pollution.

One of the grants is for $100,000 through the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to address stormwater pollution. Another is the Small Cities Grant through the Ohio Department of Transportation, which could be used for improvements on West State Street.

Additionally, council will discuss a recreational trails program grant through the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for the Columbus Road spur trailhead. 

Members of council will also discuss several ordinances up for second and third readings.

Members will discuss a resolution opposing the construction of a waste disposal facility in Piketon, which is about 65 miles west of Athens.

A member of the Piketon City Council wrote to other municipalities asking for support, Athens City Council President Chris Knisley said in a previous Post report.

@taylorheddleson

th623316@ohio.edu