Even if you are alone this Valentine's Day, that doesn't mean you have to spend it by yourself. (photo via Flickr Creative Commons user fly)

5 ways to spend Valentine’s Day if you are single

On Wednesday, Instagram will be filled with users saying that they have the best significant other in the whole world. If you’re single and scrolling through your feed, you might notice that you’re alone and eating ramen noodles for the third day in a row. You might be sad that you have no one to spend the love-centric day with, but don’t fret — just because you are single doesn’t mean you have to spend Wednesday alone. Here are a few suggestions of activities you can do as a single person on the most romantic day of the year. 

1. Download Tinder

Whether you have deleted the app off of your phone or you are a Tinder novice, try out the dating app for a day or two. If it’s not your first time, you will get all those fresh swipes back, only to rematch with the same 30 people you matched with before. It might make you feel better getting the validation of the “You have a new match!” notification, and who knows, maybe one of the matches is new and it’s your soul mate. 

2. Head to Karaoke night at the Smiling Skull Saloon 

Go belt the heck out of some Patsy Cline, Taylor Swift or any musician who makes you happy at the Smiling Skull, 108 W. Union St., this Wednesday. No matter how talented you are, go sing without caring who sees or listens. Maybe it will end up like the opening scene of High School Musical and you'll end up doing some rad duet with a stranger. 

3. Grab some ice cream

This is pretty simple, but we all know that ice cream is sort of the cure for most sadness. Ben & Jerry’s even has a quiz for which flavor you should date.

4. Third wheel with your favorite couple

Your roommate might have plans with a partner or date and, if you look pitiful enough, the two of them may invite you to dinner as long as you pay for yourself. Or get together with your favorite single friends and head to a nice restaurant to celebrate your friendship for the evening. 

5. Stay in bed

Even though it’s a holiday, that doesn’t mean you are obligated to celebrate. Stay in bed, watch a movie and wallow in your feelings for the day. You will still wake up the next day as if nothing happened — it’s just another day anyway.

Remember, you don’t need to be romantically involved to enjoy Valentine’s Day. Eat some chocolate and read a good book. It won’t be as painful as you think. 

@chuck_greenlee

cg153314@ohio.edu