ARTS/West, located on State Street. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Black Magic Open Mic to showcase talents; Chabad will host baking fundraiser

Friday  

5th Annual Plunge at 2 p.m. at River Park and River’s Edge, 36 N. McKinley Ave. Join the annual polar plunge event filled with free food, Jackie O’s drinks and more. Admission is free. 

Can Food Drive for BOGO Slices at 3 p.m. at GoodFella’s Pizza, 6 W. Union St. GoodFella’s will host a food drive for GoodWorks. Participants who bring in two cans will get a buy-one-get-one pizza slice. The drive will also take place Saturday and Sunday at the same time.

Ted Harris and Friends - live from the Taproom at 6 p.m. at Jackie O’s Brewery, 25 Campbell St. Enjoy a night filled with jazz and soul music performed by Ted Harris and various guest musicians. Admission is free, but donations of $5 are encouraged. 

Black Magic Open Mic at 6:30 p.m. at Donkey Coffee, 17 ½ W. Washington St. STARS will host the second Black Magic Open Mic and provide black artists a safe space to share their talents. Performances range from stand-up comedy to paintings. Admission is free. 

Athens Open Mic: Harr Raising Schemes at 8 p.m. in Baker Center. Blue Pencil Comedy will present a night filled with stand-up comedy. Admission is free. 

Tom Petty’s Wildflowers by members of Spikedrivers and CAAMP at 9 p.m. at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. Spikedrivers’ Jess Henry, CAAMP’s Evan Westfall and others will present Tom Petty’s album titled Wildflowers. Admission is $8.  

Saturday

Front and Center: Upbeat Music for Downbeat Days at noon in ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. ARTS/West is hosting a musical performance and children’s open stage, featuring a special guest, local singer-songwriter Caitlin Kraus. Admission is free. 

Blues Cowboys at Casa Nueva Early Show at 6 p.m. at Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St. Local blues, country and classic rock band Blues Cowboys will be performing an early show at Casa. Admission is $5 for ages 18 to 20 and $3 for ages 21 and above. 

EYE, Gudger and Water Witches at 9 p.m. at The Union Bar and Grill. Blackout presents Columbus-based band EYE, Lancaster-based band Gudger and Athens’ Water Witches for a night filled with rock music. Admission is $6. 

Sunday 

Yoga conditioning for mamas at 11:30 a.m. at Athens Yoga, 77 ½ E. State St. Moms interested in building body strength and awareness are invited to join Athens Yoga’s event. Experience is not required. Admission is $8 to $12.

Kids Day February at 1 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. Little Fish and Rural Action will be hosting its monthly Kids Day with events like bird watching, arts and crafts, nature walks and more. Free ginger ale and juice will be provided for participating children and The Cajun Slucker will be serving food. Admission is free. 

Hamantashen for Hearts at 2 p.m. at Chabad at OU, 33 N. Court St. Chabad invites people to join its event and bake Hamantashen, a triangular-shaped pastry, as part of its bake sale to raise funds for Israel-based organization Save a Child’s Heart. Participants will get free samples. Admission is free. 

The Dark Crystal at 7 p.m. at the Athena Grand, 1008 E. State St. The Athena Grand will screen filmmaker Jim Henson’s The Dark Crystal. The film tells the story of an orphan who embarks on a quest to find the missing shard of the mysterious Dark Crystal. The screening includes an introduction by Lisa Henson, Jim Henson’s daughter. Admission is $12.50.

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu