Avery Stricklin, left, and Kevin Watters, right, stand in front of the Burrito Buggy. (Provided by Jim Stricklin)

The Burrito Buggy to make return under new ownership

In a few weeks, the Burrito Buggy will be back on the streets. 

Jim Stricklin said he signed the papers today and will be partnering with his brother Scott and friend Eli Flournoy to run the buggy. 

“The only thing that is going to change is the ownership,” Stricklin said. “We are going to keep the same menu, but we think we’re going to go with some local distributors on some of the products.”

Sticklin said since the Burrito Buggy has been a favorite in Athens since 1984, he hopes to not only continue with the tradition, but also keep it a local business. 

“We're all local kids,” Stricklin said. 

Stricklin came across the Burrito Buggy when he said his wife brought up that the old owners were selling it one night at dinner. 

“I wasn’t even looking,” Stricklin said. “We all went to Ohio University and grew up in Athens and had fond memories of the Burrito Buggy. It’s part of our college life. When we found out it was for sale, it made perfect sense to go ahead and do it. We closed the deal today.”

Stricklin said his focus on the buggy will be on having a fair price and making sure customers have a great experience. He said since the Burrito Buggy is an Athens staple, he hopes to keep up the fondness that people remember. 

“You’ve got to do the job right,” Stricklin said. “The buggy itself sells it. My expertise is doing quality service and quality product. We’re going to continue the tradition. There’s not a lot that really needs to change with this.”

Kevin Watters, a friend of Stricklin, will be the buggy’s manager. He said he wants to focus on getting a “local vibe going” for the Burrito Buggy. 

“It’s about getting back out there because it’s a staple,” Watters said. “It would be cool to be behind the wheel of something big. It’s fun to work with new ingredients and stuff like that. I think it’ll be a good time.”

Avery Stricklin, Jim’s son, will be working part-time at the buggy. He said he is excited about it’s opening. 

“It’s just a new work environment,” Avery, an undecided junior, said. “I’ve worked with my dad before, when I  was younger, I worked at Sonic. It won’t be too much different.”

The Buggy will open in the next few weeks, Stricklin said. Hours have not been determined yet. 

“We’re ready to bring it back up so everyone can enjoy it,” Stricklin said. 

@AshtonNichols_

an614816@ohio.edu