About 100 Athens High School students gathered on the steps of the Athens County Courthouse on March 9 to protest gun violence. (FILE)

Here’s some news you may have missed over spring break

Whether you were at the beach, halfway across the world or cuddled up next to your dog, you may have unplugged a bit during spring break. Here are the biggest headlines from spring break to catch you up on what you might have missed: 

Stephen Hawking dies at 76

Stephen Hawking, a world-renowned physicist, died Wednesday at 76, according to the BBC. 

Hawking was famous for his work on black holes and relativity and wrote several popular science books, including A Brief History of Time.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him forever," his children said in a statement to the BBC. 

The Trump administration saw a shift in personnel

President Donald Trump announced in a tweet Tuesday that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson would be replaced with Mike Pompeo, the CIA director and former Tea Party congressman, according to The New York Times

“We were not really thinking the same,” Trump told The New York Times. “Really, it was a different mindset, a different thinking.”

Toys R Us stores are closing 

After 70 years of business, Toys R Us announced it will close or sell all stores, according to CNN. About 31,000 people across 735 stores will lose their jobs.  

The company filed for bankruptcy in September and disclosed it was about $5 billion in debt and was spending about $400 million a year just to service it, according to CNN. 

Then, in January, the company said it would close 182 stores throughout the country after an awful holiday season. 

Many think the change comes from a rise in online shopping and decline of big box stores. 

Many students participated in National Walkout Day 

Thousands of students left their classrooms Wednesday to participate in National Walkout Day as a call to end gun violence, according to USA Today

The day marked one month since the shooting in Parkland, Florida, at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in which 17 people were killed. For that reason, most demonstrations lasted 17 minutes. 

In Athens, about 100 students protested against gun violence on March 9. 

“I’ve realized silence will accomplish nothing,” Aubree Riley, the co-organizer of the protest, said in a previous Post report. “Young people have to do something because, obviously, the people who can aren’t.”

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu