Easter celebrations to take place around town

Correction appended.

Many Ohio University students may be leaving town for the weekend, but Athens will continue hosting events to celebrate Easter.

The celebration of Easter usually takes place on the first Sunday after the spring equinox. In Christianity, the holiday is held to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jewish people observe Passover, the commemoration of their liberation from slavery. 

Events such as egg hunting, brunches and more will take place in Athens.

Christ Lutheran Church, 69 Mill St., will be one of the churches around town that will be celebrating the holiday with a brunch gathering. 

Jenna Faigley, the office manager for Christ Lutheran Church, said the Easter brunch will be held as part of the church’s annual fundraiser for its student group.

There will be two services: The first session beginning at 8 a.m. followed by a second session at 10 a.m. An Easter breakfast will be served to attendees in between the two sessions. 

“We would love for students to come,” Faigley said.

For people who may not be interested in attending church services, there will also be an easter egg hunt at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road, on Sunday.

The third Little Fish Easter Egg Hunt will have eggs hidden across the two-acre property for participants to discover. The Cajun Clucker food truck will sell food throughout the event. 

Olivia Jeffrey, a senior at Athens High School, said her family would most likely be celebrating two birthdays during the weekend: hers and her brother’s.

“My family, we kind of just sit at home and enjoy the holiday together,” Jeffrey said.

On Easter weekends, Jeffrey would usually look in the city for events to participate in. She said she had fun taking part of Easter egg hunts like the WXTQ Power 105 Annual Easter Egg Hunt. 

“You have to be really fast if you want to be part of the egg hunt because people are clever and they can figure out things really fast,” she said. 

Jeffrey was not aware that Little Fish would be hosting an Easter egg hunt, but said she would consider going to the event.

Some students choose to return home and celebrate the holiday with their families. 

Alexis Armstrong is one of those students who opted to return home during Easter weekend to have a family lunch and dinner. Although she will not be in town, she said it’s great that Easter weekend events will still be taking place around Athens. 

“I think it’s important to have the option for those who aren’t able to go home, especially… people who live out of state,” Armstrong, a senior studying public health, said. “Because maybe that’s the tradition they grew up with and I feel bad if they didn’t get to (celebrate).”

If she had to stay in Athens, Armstrong said she would probably attend one of those Easter weekend events.

Jeffrey said she might have a bias because she’s from the area, but she likes how Athens and OU host Easter events that are available for people who are still in town. 

“I definitely would enjoy any activities that will take place on campus,” Jeffrey said.

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report included inaccurate information about Passover. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.