Guillermo del Toro and 'The Shape of Water' won big at the Academy Awards. (photo via @shapeofwatermovie)

The Wrap: North Korea allegedly open to negotiations with US; 'The Shape of Water' wins Best Picture at the Oscars

In the first week of March, North Korea allegedly expressed willingness to negotiate with the  United States and South Korea on nuclear weapons, and teachers in West Virginia returned to work after a nine day strike. Also, Hollywood celebrated the 90th Academy Awards. Check out more information on the week’s top stories:

North Korea may open to denuclearization, according to South Korean officials

North Korea is allegedly open to denuclearization.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un told South Korean leaders that the country is open to negotiations with the U.S., and that all nuclear and missile tests will be suspended during the talks.

North and South Korea also agreed to hold a joint summit in late April, according to a statement from South Korean President Moon Jae-In.

“The North Korean side clearly stated its willingness to denuclearize,” the statement said. “It made it clear that it would have no reason to keep nuclear weapons if the military threat to the North was eliminated and its security guaranteed.”

President Donald Trump was cautiously optimistic about the statement from South Korea.

West Virginia teacher strike ends

The West Virginia teachers' strike is over.

Governor Jim Justice signed a bill Tuesday giving teachers, school faculty and police officers a 5 percent raise.

The strike began on Feb. 22, when about 20,000 teachers demanded higher wages and better benefits. Schools were closed for nine consecutive days during the protest.

“You have a story here, a modern-day story, of labor solidarity on an issue that is irrefutable," Randi Weingarten, the president of American Federation of Teachers, said. "That for teachers to stay in our profession, for bus drivers and support staff to stay and do this work, we need a livable wage, and we need the conditions in schools that we can help kids thrive."

The Shape of Water, Jordan Peele, Kobe Bryant take home awards at the Oscars

The Shape of Water was the big winner at the 90th Academy Awards on Sunday.

The film won four Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director for Guillermo del Toro.

In the acting categories, Gary Oldman and Frances McDormand took home awards for leading roles in Darkest Hour and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, respectively. 

The acclaimed horror film Get Out was awarded Best Original Screenplay, earning director and comedian Jordan Peele his first Academy Award. Peele is also the first black screenwriter to win the award. 

Kobe Bryant also became the first person to win a sports championship and an Oscar after winning the Best Animated Short award for his short film, Dear Basketball.

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu