Athens County Sheriff's Office Lt. Aaron Maynard works during 14Fest in 2016. (FILE)

Police Blotter: Woman complains to police about cable TV; thief steals lawn mower

When the cable TV is out, there’s a problem. 

The sheriff’s office spoke with a caller about a civil issue on March 21. 

The woman called in to report that her cable was out, and the local cable company was not answering any of the after-hours numbers she was attempting, according to the sheriff’s report. 

The woman requested that deputies go to the home of the owner of the cable company to determine the cause of her cable service issue and remedy the situation. 

Deputies then told the woman that her “cable woes” were not a criminal issue and law enforcement would not be handling customer service calls for the cable company. They told the woman to call the company during normal business hours.  

Find a dumpster

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a report of illegal dumping on March 24.

The caller said he had seen someone dumping trash in a dumpster on a rental property without permission, according to the sheriff’s report. 

The suspect ended up calling in to the Sheriff's Office and said he was taking trash to the dumpster for two of the tenants that live on the property. 

No burn zone

A sheriff’s deputy was patrolling the area of East First Street in The Plains on March 24 when he came across a ditch fire with burning leaves. The area was still smoking and smoldering, which posed a fire hazard to the surrounding area, according to a sheriff’s report.

Police told the resident about the Ohio burn laws. The person put the fire completely out. 

Drunken driving

The sheriff’s office responded to Coal Run Road on March 24 for a report of an injured and intoxicated male talking incoherently. 

Once on scene, the responding deputies determined the male had crashed his daughter's vehicle into a tree and then drove the vehicle the rest of the way home, according to a sheriff’s report. The male had a significant head and leg injury, and EMS transported him to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital.  

Someone shot the shed

The sheriff’s office responded to Red Dog Road on March 25 because a bullet hole was found on a shed door.

It is unclear which direction the shot came from because it is unknown if the door was open or shut when the bullet was fired, according to the sheriff’s report. Other than the hole in the door, there was no other damage. 

Lawn Theft

The sheriff’s office responded to State Route 685 for a theft report on March 22.

The caller said that earlier in the evening, a neighbor witnessed a suspect in a red pick-up truck load a lawn mower into the bed of the truck, according to the sheriff’s report. The neighbor then contacted the property owner and told them about the situation. 

@AshtonNichols_

an614816@ohio.edu