Liz Backo

From the Editor's Desk: Post staff prepares for Alumni Weekend

This weekend, The Post staff will welcome back Post alumni for The Post Alumni Society’s 12th reunion.

The Post Alumni Society spends months planning for the event, and the current Post staff is looking forward to a weekend of meeting new people, discussing journalism and celebrating The Post. This year, the weekend falls in line with fest season coverage and Board of Trustees meetings.

Alumni Weekend gives students the chance to learn about how the organization functioned years ago, and it gives us all hope for journalism. We’re an incredibly curious bunch, and students always ask about what life as a journalist is like after leaving Ohio University. It’s always reassuring to hear from thriving alumni who embrace a digital future and have an optimistic look for the industry.

Pulitzer Prize winner Alex Stuckey is the keynote speaker. The 2012 Scripps graduate works for the Houston Chronicle and frequently reports on NASA and the environment.

It’s great to learn about all the notable events that happened when alumni attended OU.  We talk about late nights in the newsroom, reporting on breaking stories and overall what it’s like to be a student journalist. 

At Alumni Weekend, I give the annual “State of The Post” address. During my presentation, I will talk about what The Post did different this year, such as integrating a senior editor role in the executive office and expanding our digital side from a single coder into a small staff of people. We reported on lots of different topics, such as the new president Duane Nellis, “Freedom of Expression” policy, local elections and the university’s budget. We produced a handful of special issues, and we have more on the way.

Then the 2018-19 Post editor, Lauren Fisher, will also share her plans with alumni. She will talk about her plans for improving The Post by connecting with our readers and continuing to expand out digital capacity. 

The Post staff is excited to welcome the alumni back to campus. Each year, we reminisce, learn and look forward to the next one. 

Elizabeth Backo is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. What are your favorite memories from past years? Tell her at eb823313@ohio.edu or send her a tweet at @liz_backo.