On A High Note: Sam MacPherson finds 'Something Simple'

“Something Simple,” by Sam MacPherson is the most genuine single I’ve heard in a while; it defies the new norm of disguising anything real with over-production.

The track is set to be released on March 17 as the first single on MacPherson’s debut EP, South of Red. The 20-year-old is kicking off a month-long tour in promotion of the single at The Bitter End in New York City.

With his first swing, the New Jersey native did more than just find his footing; he hit a homer. He wears his heart on his sleeve, which is already ten steps further than most pop artists are willing to take the craft these days. But MacPherson kicks it up a notch by finding the beauty in everyday life.

In this stripped-down masterpiece, MacPherson describes an aspect of life that is often scoffed at or overlooked: the daydream.

“Something Simple” is set in a bookstore. MacPherson is watching a girl from afar, and imagining what she might be like, based solely on her mannerisms and choice of reading material. Though he knows he will probably never exchange a word with the stranger, he fantasizes about learning her vices and the things she hides from the world.

“She probably writes words in the dark/the ones too close to her heart/to ever share/and dances when she’s alone/to the mirror she’s always on/cause it will never care.”

The verse comes right after an instrumental break with bluesy riffs to die for. The optimistic chorus follows the verse.

“I don’t know you/but I hope it’s all true/just a little/See I’ve been trying to find/someone who wouldn’t mind falling in love.”

The emotional aspect isn’t the only brave part of MacPherson’s release. Allowing an acoustic track to be the first thing anyone will hear from you is risky in an industry that is rapidly becoming an electronic-only club.

Somewhere between Shawn Mendes and Vance Joy, MacPherson spews effortless poetry in time to his strumming. MacPherson has a bright future, if the world is willing to listen.

All new artists have the odds stacked against them; the music industry has been on the decline for quite some time, but MacPherson doesn’t have any doubts.

“I feel like as soon as you have fears, you’re already a step behind,” MacPherson said, “I think at this point it’s just all about going out and doing it.”

Halle Weber is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Let Halle know by tweeting at her @HalleWeber13.