The 'Scooby-Doo' gang joined Dean and Sam on 'Supernatural' this week. (photo via @cw_supernatural Instagram)

TV Review: Zoinks! The 'Scooby-Doo' gang joined Dean, Sam and Cas on 'Supernatural'

Supernatural finally aired its long-awaited “Scoobynatural” on Thursday in which Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Cas (Misha Colllins) were zapped into the animated world of Scooby-Doo

This week’s episode opened with Sam and Dean taking down a killer stuffed dinosaur and setting it on fire with holy oil. The pawn shop owner thanked them for their service and allowed them to take items from the store. However, Jay (Peter New), a business partner of the pawn shop owner, was suspicious of the brothers.

Back at the bunker, Sam researched cursed objects to figure out why the dinosaur attacked. Dean interrupted Sam by introducing him to the newly furnished “Dean Cave” — which included the television from the pawn shop. When Dean turned on the TV, a purple glow enveloped the brothers and transported them into the TV. 

The brothers got their bearings and found out Baby was in the TV world because Dean had the keys in his pocket. Driving around, Sam and Dean spotted the Mystery Machine and realized they were inside Scooby-Doo. Dean introduced himself and Sam to the gang, and the two were swept into the gang’s next mystery. 

“Our ghosts don’t wear masks, and we don’t have a talking dog,” Sam said to Dean. “I don’t know,” Dean replied. “Cas is kind of like a talking dog.” 

The brothers found out that the gang was celebrating because Scooby (Frank Welker) was left a sum of money by an old Southern colonel since Scooby saved him from drowning. When everyone arrived at the mansion, Dean realized which episode they dropped into: “A Night of Fright is No Delight.” 

Soon after the gang situated themselves in the mansion, there was a scream, and everyone found a man dead. Sam and Dean realized that this wasn't the family-friendly classic anymore.

Back in reality, Cas returned from Syria with the fruit of the Tree of Life and saw Sam and Dean on TV with the rest of the gang. As he stared at the cartoon, the purple light enveloped him, too, and zapped him into the TV. Cas found Sam and Dean, but they soon found another body in the mansion. They then realized the cartoon was haunted, and the ghosts followed them in the program. 

The phantom appeared, and chaos ensued with the classic scenes of the gang running around and hiding. The gang and Team Free Will all bumped into each other, but so did the ghost. For the first time, the ghost gave Fred a bloody nose, broke Shaggy’s arm and stuck Velma and Daphne to the wall.

The Scooby squad and Supernatural gang all came up with a plan to tackle the ghost — who was actually a little boy (Kegan Frith) — with iron and salt. The boy’s spirit was tied to a pocket knife, and when Jay placed the pocketknife in different objects, the boy haunted them. The trio lied to the gang and assured them that the monsters weren’t real and all was right in the world. The trio was zapped back into the real world, the knife was destroyed and the kid’s soul went to heaven. 

Back at the pawn shop, the brothers got Jay arrested for not paying his taxes. In traditional fashion, Jay angrily said “I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids” as he was put in a cop car. The camera zoomed in on Dean saying “Scooby Dooby Dooooo!”

The episode generated a significant amount of media hype, and it lived up to the high expectations. The animations were authentic to the original franchise, but also stayed true to its Supernatural roots. 

The episode also provided comedic relief for the Supernatural series. From Dean’s obvious flirting with Daphne to Velma’s obsession with Sam’s broad shoulders, the episode was very feel-good.  

“It doesn't matter if we die. Scooby-Doo could die. And that's not happening, not on my watch. I'd take a bullet for that dog,” Dean said to Sam.

Dean was protective of the gang and refused to tell them about hunting — that was probably one of the most heartwarming elements of the episode. 

“We're not going to tell them about anything,” Dean said. “Not where we're from, not about monsters, nothing, capiche? They are pure and innocent and good, and we're gonna keep it that way.”

The stars supported the episode on Twitter.

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on The CW. 

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu