Toys R Us began liquidating its inventory to prepare for store closings this summer. (photo via Wikimedia Commons user Terence Ong) 

The Wrap: Toys R Us begins liquidation sales, Trump lawyer resigns amid Russia investigation frustrations

In the week following spring break, Toys R Us began liquidating its inventory to prepare for store closings this summer. Meanwhile, one of President Donald Trump’s top legal advisors resigned, and the last living male member of a critically endangered species died. Here’s more information on the week’s top stories:

Toys R Us starts liquidating its inventory

After announcing the closure of all U.S. stores, toy retailer Toys R Us will began its liquidation sales on Thursday.

The Wayne, NJ company is aiming for a 14-week timeline for the liquidity operation, with plans to officially close stores in June. Toys R Us distribution centers will close before the brick-and-mortar stores.

If you have a Toys R Us gift card, you should consider using it soon. The company will not honor gift cards after April 14.

Toys R Us indicated competition and online retail as primary reasons for the company’s decision to close its doors.

Trump’s lawyer steps down

John Dowd, President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, stepped down from the president’s legal team. Dowd was Trump’s lead lawyer in special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.

According to The Washington Post, Trump and Dowd reached a mutual decision after the president questioned Dowd’s ability to handle Mueller’s investigation.

Trump and Dowd also disagreed on various legal strategies, including the president’s efforts to hire new attorneys.

In a statement to ABC News, Dowd said “I love the president and wish him well.”

World’s last male white rhino dies after health complications

Sudan, the world’s last living male white rhinoceros, died at the age of 45 on Monday.

Sudan suffered from age-related health complications, and was put to sleep at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya. Sudan’s daughter and granddaughter are now the only two living white rhinos.

Despite the species’ critically endangered status, new technology could help produce more white rhino offspring, said Jan Stejskal, an official at Dvur Kralove Zoo in the Czech Republic, where Sudan had lived until 2009.

"We must take advantage of the unique situation in which cellular technologies are utilised for conservation of critically endangered species,” Stejskal said. “It may sound unbelievable, but thanks to the newly developed techniques even Sudan could still have an offspring."

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu