Catch up on last week's episode of 'The Walking Dead.' (photo via @amcthewalkingdead)

TV Review: The stakes are higher than ever for the Hilltop, Kingdom and Alexandria on ‘The Walking Dead’

In last week’s episode, The Walking Dead promised an attack on Hilltop by the Saviors. Not only did it fulfill that promise, but it also gave a few surprising twists! Here are the top moments from Sunday’s episode on AMC: 

1. The Saviors attacked Hilltop

With Simon (Steven Ogg) now leading the Saviors, the group quickly marched to the Hilltop to completely eliminate its citizens. However, Maggie (Lauren Cohan) and the others were prepared. When the Saviors arrived at their gates, Hilltop baited them inside with open doors, only to have them crash into a bus and be met with gunfire from residents of the Hilltop and the Kingdom. The Saviors retaliated with bows and arrows and were able to drive back the people of Hilltop.

Hilltop then shot out all of the lights with its guns, leaving the Saviors in an eerie silence. The Saviors decided to advance, but were met with immediate gunfire from the Hilltop. Simon ordered them to all fall back, but Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and others came from behind them. Despite seemingly-large casualties, Simon, Dwight (Austin Amelio), and others were able to escape. This interaction proved that the Hilltop is capable of defending themselves and gave a stern message to Simon and his crew.

2. The victims started turning on each other

After the attack was over, the injured Hilltop/Kingdom/Alexandria members got medical aid.  The injured were all put in Maggie’s house. Unfortunately, the Saviors had used blood and guts of zombies on their weapons, so the injured individuals began turning. Before anyone realized, most of the injured individuals were bitten and turned. Eventually, the walkers were all killed by Maggie, Rick, Michonne (Danai Gurira) and others, but the group suffered heavy losses.

Now that the Hilltop, Kingdom and Alexandria know about the Saviors’ weapons, they will likely be very careful in the future. They might even try to use the tactic themselves. Either way, both groups learned the major consequences that resulted from the incident and it will shape the entirety of the war ahead.

3. The hostages at the Hilltop escaped

In the last episode, the young boy who killed a Savior wanted revenge from his brother. Despite Carol’s (Melissa McBride) warnings, the boy continued his need for revenge in this episode. When the injured started turning, the boy ran outside to the makeshift jail that housed the Savior hostages. Instead of aiming through the space in the walls, the boy opened the door and was, of course, overtaken by the Savior hostages. After the group had killed all of the walkers, Maggie walked outside and found the makeshift jail empty and the young boy missing. However, there were a few Savior hostages who stayed and pledged their allegiance to Maggie because of her sharp instinct and fierce leadership.

The escaped Savior hostages create an interesting dynamic for the show. On one hand, they’ll want revenge against the Hilltop for holding them captive. On the other hand, they’ll fight against Simon and the other Saviors for denouncing them from the group. Also, with the young boy missing, the Hilltop will have to recover him before he is hurt or caught by the Saviors.

The episode ended with Maggie looking distraught. When asked about it, she replied that she was thinking about the costs of it all. Certainly, her goal of killing Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and the saviors wasn’t successful, leading her to be more cautious and methodical in the future. Also, she saw that the hostages escaped, which will make her less likely to keep any of them alive in the future. With new knowledge about the type of weapons the Saviors are using and with Negan at-large, The Walking Dead is gearing up for an action-packed end to this season. For the Hilltop, Kingdom and Alexandria, the stakes have never been higher as they face-off against the Saviors.

The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC. 

@huntergraffice4

hg551416@ohio.edu