Bartender Ali Rutowski laughs as she takes an order from Elliot John-Conry, left, and Phil Ortman at Little Fish Brewing Company on Sept. 23. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Take a break from studying with tabletop games; see OU student-directed film ‘Departure’ at the Athena

Friday

Live demo by Chef Hari Nayak at 3 p.m. in Jefferson Marketplace. Nayak will cook up a demonstration in an Ohio University kitchen. Nayak has a couple cookbooks and is known for is his appearance on Beat Bobby Flay. The renowned chef attended the Culinary Institute of America. The event is free. 

Departure Advance Screening at 7 p.m. at The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. Directed by four OU students, Departure follows the life of family that struggles to keep everything together in Appalachia. The film also features Yang Miller, the technical director and audience experience coordinator at the Athena. The film will also be shown Saturday at 7 p.m. Admission is $5.

OU Choral POPS! Concert at 7:30 p.m. in the Scripps Amphitheater. People can take a seat on the grassy steps of Scripps Amphitheater to listen to three of OU’s music groups: the Women’s Ensemble, University Singers and the Singing Men of Ohio. The event is free. 

MojoFlo at 9 p.m. at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. MojoFlo will bring its jazz, funk and rock roots back the Union for a performance. MojoFlo is a six-piece band based in Columbus. General admission is $10.

Saturday

International Tabletop Day at noon in Alden Library. The OU organization Bobcat Tabletop will be in room 319 to teach people how to play board games, which is an ideal way to take a break from studying. The free event is part of #FinalsByAlden

16th Annual A Cappella Invitational at 7:30 p.m. at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. The Leading Tones, Picardy Thirds, Tempo Tantrums, New Chords on the Block, Title IX and Section Eight will all perform their own sets for a free show.

Sunday

Yoga at 11 a.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. Start your Sunday right with yoga at Little Fish’s regular morning session. The brewery hosted yoga throughout the month of April, so this is your last chance to attend. Admission is free.

Coffee & Canvas at 11 a.m. at the OU Inn & Conference Center, 331 Richland Ave. OU Inn will host two sessions of OU-themed painting. The step-by-step session is $30, and registration is required. For those who want to DIY, that session is $20, and registration is encouraged. People can call the OU Inn at 740-593-6661 to register. 

Study for finals at Hillel at 6 p.m. at Hillel at Ohio University, 21 Mill St. Those who need a break from the library can head to Hillel and study there. The house is hosting study times on Monday and Tuesday as well. 

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu