Mayor Steve Patterson listens to the City Council discuss ordinances during their meeting on Jan. 16th, 2018.

City Council: Members discuss Camp Rotan improvements

Correction appended.

Athens City Council members discussed allowing the mayor to apply for a grant to repair parts of Camp Rotan at the Monday night committee meeting. 

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said he is looking for council approval to apply for the NatureWorks grant. The grant, through the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, is given to cities to rehabilitate recreational land. 

Patterson said the city would request about $47,000, but ODNR decides how much money the city will get depending on other Athens county cities' applications. 

The grant would cover 75 percent of the project, and Athens would pay for the remaining 25 percent of the project. If offered the full grant, the city would pay almost $12,000. 

Patterson said the priority project for the camp would be repairing the trails. It would also look at repairing a waterline, a shed and a parking lot, depending on how much the city would receive.

“The trails are priority number one in that park, just to make sure they’re safe,” Patterson said.

Additionally, city council members discussed amending the ordinance that created the Environmental and Sustainability Committee. 

The ordinance would increase the number of committee members from nine to 11. 

Council is adding two members after the presidents Student Senate and Graduate Student Senate expressed interest in more student involvement in city committees, Athens City Council President Chris Knisely said. 

“We commend the sustainability commission for being so receptive to this,” Knisely said. “But also the Ohio University students who are interested in more actively participating in some of our activities in the city, so we’re really pleased to see this happen.”

@bloodbuzzohioan

sc568816@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misstated the name of Student Senate. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.