Two students skipped school to go to the Cubs' home-opener. (via spablab on Flickr)

Fun News Friday: 4-year-old receives jury duty summons; students skip class for Cubs' home-opener and run into an unlikely person

Believe it or not, there’s only one regular week left in the semester. The weather has been wild, and it doesn’t feel like spring in Athens. If you’re as sad about that as I am, here’s some fun news to brighten your week: 

Baby blazers 

The U.S. Senate recently passed a rule that allows newborn babies on the Senate floor. Democratic Sen. Tammy Duckworth made it clear Thursday that her baby would be wearing a blazer to the Senate. 

BuzzFeed reported that the rule was voted in unanimously, but it still caused concerns. Specifically, Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch “But what if there are 10 babies on the floor of the Senate?” and people clearly found ways to have fun with that. 

Preschool takes priority

A 4-year-old in Pennsylvania received a summons in the mail ordering him to fulfill his civic duty by appearing in court for jury duty, according to Time Magazine

Damien Shrader, the preschooler who received the summons, couldn’t follow through on jury duty. 

“He has preschool that day,” his mother said, according to Time. 

His parents went to the Luzerne County Courthouse on Tuesday and explained the 4-year-old really couldn’t be a juror. 

“He’s always been a very serious child, but I didn’t think he was quite ready for that kind of a thing, there,” Shrader’s mom Desiree told WNEP.

Principals skip school too 

Two Illinois boys skipped school this week to go to the home-opener for the Cubs. They went to the game with a sign stating “Skipping school. S-h-h-h, don’t tell Principal Versluis.”

Little did they know that exact principal was also playing hooky. He had called off sick to take his son to the first home game, according to WPXI.

“I saw him and I was kind of ducking down,” principal Pat Versluis told the Chicago Sun Times. “I didn’t want him to see me either. I’m here with my son, Aiden, who’s in the fifth grade and I called out sick for the day.”

The two groups didn’t hide from each other, though. Apparently, they met up and got a photo. 

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu