Here's a ranking of the songs on 'Revamp: The Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin.' (photo via Itunes)

A ranking of the covers on ‘Revamp: The Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin’

Elton John and Bernie Taupin are a dynamic duo in the music industry. Taupin writes most of the lyrics and then John sings them into major stardom. On April 6, two tribute albums were released dedicated to the two. 

Restoration, which was curated by Taupin, contains a majority of country artists reimagining John’s songs. Revamp, curated by Elton John himself, has mostly pop and rock artists giving their own spin on the duo’s biggest hits. Both albums have standouts, but they also have a couple songs that lack the special touch that John always gave his music. Here’s a ranking of the covers on Revamp: The Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin:

13. “Bennie And The Jets” — Elton John, P!nk, Logic

After listening to this reimagined cover of “Bennie And The Jets,” all one can ask is why. Whether it’s the hip-hop backing beat or Logic’s unnecessary rap verse, it just doesn’t work. The original was an iconic piano-driven song, while this cover is drowned out by electronics beats and basically no piano. Good intentions were there, but they missed the mark with this one. 

12. “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word” — Mary J. Blige

Blige had good intentions with this cover too, but the reimagined version is less than satisfactory. John’s original is an earnest, slow ballad, but Blige changed that. The cover features R&B inspired backing beats, and Blige gives vocal runs throughout the song. The mix of these two things created a lack of emotion that was present in the original. The original featured emotion which was apparent but subtle unlike the cover’s overdramatic feel. While it’s known that Blige is an exceptional singer, the cover didn’t necessarily do the original any favors. 

11. “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” — The Killers

While The Killers’ lead singer, Brandon Flowers, has vocals that sounds eerily similar to John’s, the cover is a bit lackluster. Without a doubt, The Killers are alternative music pioneers, but they didn’t necessarily do this song any justice. It’s just sort of a bland rendition that sits among some better sounding covers. 

10. “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” — Queens of the Stone Age

Closing the album, Queens of the Stone Age hone in on '70s Elton John with their cover of “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.” The cover stays true to the original. It’s psychedelic and dramatic, but it’s done in the right way. The band paid homage to John without straying away from giving it its own twist. 

9. “We All Fall In Love Sometimes” — Coldplay 

Coldplay didn’t stray away from the original. They gave an emotional, gentle ballad similar to John’s 1975 release. It’s simple, sweet and though it’s not necessarily anything special, it worked. 

8. “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” — Mumford and Sons 

Mumford and Sons is another band that decided to stay true to the original with its cover. Lead singer Marcus Mumford has a folksier sound to his voice, but otherwise it’s straightforward. Though it’s not necessarily a standout on the album, it definitely can be appreciated and enjoyably listened to.

7. “Your Song” — Lady Gaga

“Your Song” is arguably one of John’s biggest songs. It’s a touching love song that’s subdued with acoustic guitar. Lady Gaga’s rendition is anything but subdued. Obviously inspired by John’s theatrical side, Gaga gave a cover that’s equally dramatic as it is over the top. She tried to change the emotion, and while props to her for taking a risk, it didn’t necessarily work. 

6. “Daniel” — Sam Smith

Sam Smith’s cover of “Daniel” is simple and exquisite. Smith slowed the song down to make it more of a ballad, and it surprisingly worked. While some other artists on the album attempted to change songs too much, Smith was able to find a happy medium. Featuring Taupin’s touching lyrics and Smith’s soothing vocals, it’s a match made in heaven. 

5. “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues” — Alessia Cara

Alessia Cara is the youngest feature on the album sitting at 21 years old, but something in the young singer made John ask her to cover one of his songs. Her rendition is R&B-infused, and it shows just how powerful a voice she has for such a young age. It’s simple, and it does the job in paying homage to an artist who Cara possibly even looked up to when growing up. 

4. “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” — Q-Tip & Demi Lovato

The duet between A Tribe Called Quest co-founder Q-Tip and pop diva Demi Lovato is a bit confusing, but it somehow works. It’s smooth and funky. The R&B influences shine through their voices, and together they created a refreshing, new take on John and soul singer Kiki Dee’s classic duet. It’s unexpected, but exactly what’s needed on a tribute album.  

3. “Candle In The Wind” — Ed Sheeran

Pop superstar Ed Sheeran gave an acoustic guitar-led version of “Candle In The Wind.” Compared to the upbeat songs featured throughout the album, it’s a refreshing take on John’s original piano-led hit. Sped up a bit compared to the original, it’s only a mere three minutes long compared to most other songs on the album that are four minutes or longer. 

2. “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” — Miley Cyrus

Cyrus, who features on both Revamp and Restoration, shows just how great of a singer she is on this cover. The pop diva took a risk, and it paid off. Whether it’s her powerful, emotion-filled vocals or the anthemic feel of the entire song, it ended up working. It’s understandable why both Taupin and John wanted her featured on both tribute albums. 

1. “Tiny Dancer” — Florence + The Machine 

Florence Welch creates an ethereal, dreamy version of “Tiny Dancer.” Between her airy vocals and the effortless build of the song, it’s a stunner. While no one can top the original, Welch brought her all and definitely stands out from the other songs covered. She took risks without breaching the integrity of the original. 

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu