The Ohio Statehouse in Columbus. (Provided via Ohio Department of Development)

What to know about proposed state gun control legislation

Ohio State Rep. Michael Henne, R-Dayton, introduced legislation Thursday that includes the six changes Republican Gov. John Kasich recommended in March for Ohio gun and background check laws, according to cleveland.com. 

Hence said those changes are “sensible” and should “keep people safer." Here’s what you should know about the proposed legislation: 

Ohio would get a "red-flag" law

“Red-flag” laws enable family members and others to ask judges to take away the gun rights of people who may be showing warning signs of violence. This would be done through a gun violence restraining order, according to cleveland.com, and similar legislation has been passed in several states. 

Deadlines and penalties would be stricter

The legislation forces others to comply with deadlines and penalties about entering information into the national background check system. 

Domestic violence protection 

Those with domestic violence protection orders would be prohibited from buying or possessing guns or firearms of any type. 

“Strawman” third-party gun purchases 

The legislation would clarify the state’s prohibition on “strawman” third-party gun purchases, meaning purchasing a gun for someone who is prohibited from owning a firearm under state or federal laws. 

Some measurers are absent from the bill 

Things such as raising age limits of gun purchases, banning AR-15 assault-type rifles or imposing universal background checks were not included in the legislation because those suggestions divided the group, according to cleveland.com

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu