Members of Athens City Council during council's meeting on Jan. 16. (FILE)

City Council: Members to discuss gun legislation resolution, compost program

Athens City Council members will read a resolution at council's Monday meeting expressing the need for stricter gun laws following a national movement for gun control policies. 

Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said during at the March 12 committee meeting that action needed to be taken given the current political climate.

“Again and again, the leadership that’s supposed to be there at the state level, and the leadership that’s supposed to be there at the national level, is not coming through,” Fahl said. “We put it upon ourselves to ensure gun safety. The resolution will point out what we think is necessary in the City of Athens to ensure the health, safety and welfare of our citizens.”

Fahl said the resolution would express the need for “common-sense gun safety laws.” 

City council members will also discuss authorizing a pilot program that would bring curbside compost collection to Athens residents. 

The pilot program, introduced by Rural Action, would be limited to about 300 residents on a first-come, first-serve basis. Participants would receive a 5-gallon bucket that they would be responsible for cleaning and taking to the curb. The service would be free to participants, Andrea Reany, a representative from Rural Action, said at the March 12 committee meeting. 

The pilot program would have a three-month recruitment period beginning in May that would include educational materials about the program. 

From there, the program would begin the official pilot period that would last from August through January. If successful, the citywide compost program would then be launched in April 2020, Reany said. 

Additionally, city council members will discuss an Ohio Department of Transportation grant that would allow for the improvement of several streets that cross Court Street. 

The grant would also pay for improvements to the streets for other modes of transportation by possibly adding bus stops and bike lanes. 

The improvements would be made to East Union, Washington, East State and Mill streets.

Athens City Council will meet at 6 p.m. Monday for a public hearing about Downtown Redevelopment Districts, followed by a public hearing about a Community Development Block Grant. 

@bloodbuzzohioan

sc568816@ohio.edu