Cinema and Syntax: ‘A Quiet Place’ is an example of why we shouldn’t typecast actors

If people bring up John Krasinski in regular conversation, there might be three possible responses: “Who?”, “Emily Blunt’s husband?” or “Oh, he’s the guy who played Jim Halpert on The Office, right?”

Since playing the lovable goofball on NBC’s hit show The Office, Krasinski hasn’t starred in many roles that would allow him to be seen as anything other than the man who has a crush on Pam Beasley and annoys Dwight Schrute. But that has all changed with his new horror movie, A Quiet Place, which he directed, wrote, produced and starred in. 

The movie is far from anything he did on The Office, and it is probably the best project he could have done for his career. Before A Quiet Place, he was only seen as Jim, and that highlights the problems actors face with being typecast into a certain genre.

Typecasting isn’t a new idea. People associate actors with the characters they portray all of the time. It has happened with almost every Disney star and the actors from the Harry Potter series. When their time is up for playing a character they have portrayed for a period of time, it can be hard for them to be seen as an actor who can take on roles outside of their most famous ones. Struggling to find work, they turn to characters similar to the one that made them famous. 

Perhaps that’s why Chris Evans said he is ending his reign as Captain America after the fourth Avengers movie, which is slated for a 2019 release.  

A quick glance at Evans’ IMDb page shows countless superhero movies, including the often forgotten Fantastic Four franchise, in which he played the Human Torch. His role in Fantastic Four was his first major role, and it appears he hasn’t been able to escape that. 

In 2011, he became Captain America and a household name. But only a handful of people can probably name a few other titles he has starred in that don’t involve saving the world or disagreeing with Iron Man.

What many people don’t realize is Evans has acted in a couple independent dramas, such as Before We Go and Gifted. And those who have seen them know Evans can do more than hold a shield and look good in red, white and blue. 

Evans wasn’t established like his other co stars were in The Avengers before being casted. Robert Downey, Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson all had other roles that stood out other than in superhero movies. Evans is just starting his career. The Avengers was just a way to get noticed, and it’s going to be hard for him to shake the Captain America mold.

Viewers can help make it a little easier, though. It took Krasinski five years after The Office ended to create something else people will know him for. It’s hard not to see an actor as our favorite characters, but it’s worth the try.

Georgia Davis is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Have you seen A Quiet Place? Tell Georgia by tweeting her at @georgiadee35