Men's Golf: With a new lineup, Ohio finishes ninth at the MAC Championships

Ohio made improvements in each round, but it finished last at the Mid-American Conference Championships in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

For the second time in three years, Ohio finished ninth with a 124-over-par score over the course of four rounds. There was a 30-stroke difference between Ohio and eighth-place Bowling Green.  

It was the final tournament for Ohio head coach Bob Cooley, as he is retiring after 30 years in charge of the program.

Kent State won its eighth title in nine years — and 25th overall — by three strokes over Ball State and 80 strokes better than Ohio.

Ohio brought a new lineup to the tournament. Austin Dyson and David Wang made their first stroke-play appearances of the season, which resulted in Brady Bohl being dropped for the first time this season despite having the second best average score-per-round. Bohl struggled in the final few events of the season. 

Before each tournament, the players play to determine who will go to the tournament, and even though it usually is the same, it can change.

In his final collegiate tournament, Tom Nettles led the Bobcats with a 29 over to tie for 29th. Nettles had the only eagle for the Bobcats but also had two quadruple bogeys. He finished 22 places lower than he did last year at the MAC Championships. 

Freshman Zach Crawford struggled in the first round but was able to recover in the following three rounds to tie Nettles for 29th.

Ben Sattler was consistent for the Bobcats, and he finished 36th. For him, it was a better placing than at the past two MAC Championships. 

The season is now over for Ohio, and the Bobcats are searching for a head coach for the first time in 30 years. 

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu