BSCPB members, students, and moms dance during the Mom's Weekend Expo put on by the Black Student Cultural Programming Board (BSCPB) in Baker Center on April 3, 2016.

Here's what's going on during Moms Weekend

Kaitlin Janes is hoping to make her last Moms Weekend with her mom the most memorable one yet.

“My mom has come down for every Moms Weekend except one and we always have a great time together,” Janes, a senior studying communication, said. “We’re both really sad that this is the last one.”

The university will have a variety of events going on for students and their moms to attend this weekend. Some events include a screening of The Princess Bride at The Athena Cinema, MomsFest, previously known as Chocolate Fest, on Saturday and hiking through Hocking Hills that will take place the whole weekend.

Janes and her mom visited Pleasant Hill Winery last Moms Weekend and they plan on going there again this year.

“I used to go to wineries with my parents when I was younger and was always so bored, but it’s a lot more enjoyable now that I get to actually drink with my mom,” Janes said. 

Garrett Weininger, a freshman studying meteorology, will get to experience his first Moms Weekend while his sister will experience her last.

“My mom has definitely had her fair share of Moms Weekends down at OU,” Weininger said. “She’s sad that this is my sister’s last one, but I’m here for another three years so she’s not too sad.”

Weininger’s mom is an OU alumna and has many friends she plans on seeing this Moms Weekend.

“She knows like a million people and their kids, so she’ll probably try and catch up with them too,” Weininger said. “My sister and her will probably go and enjoy Athens nightlife at the bars without me, but that’s OK.”

Jess Deyo, a freshman studying journalism, is excited for both her mom and dad to come down this weekend.

“My mom is like my best friend and I’m really looking forward to sharing this experience with her, even though my dad is coming down too,” Deyo said.

Bringing her mom to campus is a huge priority for Deyo because her mom loves it in Athens.

“My mom would probably come down every weekend if she could,” Deyo said. “But these special weekends are really cool because we’re able to spend family time together even in our busy lives.”

Weininger shares his mom’s excitement level for this years Moms Weekend.

“My mom just loves the area and how beautiful it is here,” Weininger said. “She would come down any chance she got if she could, but so would I so I get where she’s coming from.”

Janes and her mom won’t be attending any of the events the university will be hosting, but will be shopping on Court Street instead.

“We always do a lot of shopping when my mom comes down, so I’m glad we’ll get to do that together this weekend,” Janes said. “It’ll be nice to just relax and have fun with my mom. I hope we make some good last Moms Weekend memories.”

@BayleeDeMuth

bd575016@ohio.edu