Ohio freshman wide receiver Cameron Odom (#3) hauls in a 48-yard catch from quarterback Quinton Maxwell during the third quarter of the Bobcats' 59-0 win over Hampton on Saturday at Peden Stadium. 

Football: Cam Odom’s path to leadership

Cameron Odom stood in Walter Fieldhouse, dripping with sweat, as most of the team left the facility.

Ohio’s fifth spring practice had already concluded, but Odom wasn’t leaving. He had work to do. Odom stayed after practice and was put through drills by wide receivers’ coach Dwayne Dixon until they were the last two football personnel in the building.

Following most practices, Odom, a redshirt sophomore from Bedford, is one of the last players off the field. He’s trying to take a big step with his on-field production from last season; he didn’t live up to his expectations.

“The biggest improvement is what I’ve put on in the weight room,” Odom said. “Gaining that extra bit of muscle, that extra bit of weight and then coming out here and actually seeing it work on the field, getting stronger in my routes and releases and being more explosive.”

Last season, Odom finished with 20 catches for 308 yards and three touchdowns. He showed flashes of what he is capable of in Ohio’s 59-0 demolition of Hampton in the season-opener. Odom hauled in four passes for 75 yards and a touchdown. 

But the success didn’t last all season. He had four games with just one catch; three of his games featured fewer than 10 receiving yards. It wasn’t considered a successful campaign for Odom. He wants more.

“Making plays after the catch, that’s one thing I want to work on,” Odom said. “Staying on my feet when catching the ball and getting those numbers, yards after the catch. Even taking short catches and taking them for big, explosive plays.”

Not only does he want his stats to increase, but also his leadership.

It’s obvious that he wants to lead by his play on the field. The numbers weren’t there. He’s trying to improve them and become a more polished receiver. Part of that process involves the dirty work on the outside for wide receivers: blocking.

Odom admits he hasn’t been the best blocker in the past. But outside blocking is an important aspect of the run game. It could be the difference between a running back having a 10-yard run and a long touchdown run. If the backs don’t get proper blocking on the edge, it makes things difficult.

In Ohio’s offense, the outside blocking is imperative. The playbook is littered with outside runs and option plays. That’s why Odom is working on it. To be the leader of the receiving core, he has to block. So far, he’s making progress.

“Being an all around receiver, not just focusing on being that guy that can just run routes and catch the ball,” Odom said of what he stresses as a leader. “But also the person that — my running back can trust me to make that outside block for him to go score.”

He’s been working on teaching newcomers, learning from his teammates and relying on the help of Dixon.

Dixon is a former wide receiver himself. He played at the University of Florida and then had a stint with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He also played in the Arena Football League and is in the Arena Football Hall of Fame. He knows how to be an effective wide receiver. Odom is working with Dixon to fine-tune his skills.

One area of concern entering the offseason was Odom’s drops. He had a problem securing the ball, something he’s working with Dixon to cut down on — and hopefully eliminate.

“He’s working on (cutting drops) on his own,” Dixon said. “In the locker room, he’s throwing balls against the wall and catching them, watching it go and stick to his hands. All those type of things have really helped him, helped his improvement.”

Odom continues to become a more well-rounded receiver. He’s currently sitting out of practice, possibly for the remainder of spring, with an injury.

But that’s not going to stop Odom for the final weeks of spring practice; he’s going to be a leader in the fall.

“It’s more important that just catching the ball,” Odom said. “It’s about being an all-around player as well.”

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu