Ohio second baseman Aaron Levy tags Northern Illinois' Samuel Vega during a doubleheader on March 31, 2018. (FILE)

Baseball: Ohio hosts Eastern Michigan this weekend

After splitting its two midweek games, Ohio (16-15, 4-5 Mid-American Conference) will host Eastern Michigan (11-19, 5-4 MAC) for three games at Bob Wren Stadium this weekend. 

The Bobcats, who went 1-2 against Toledo last weekend, are in a three-way tie for sixth place in the MAC. The Eagles, who won their previous series 2-1 against Ball State, are in fifth place in the MAC. 

Ohio can move past Eastern Michigan in the conference standings with a pair of wins in the series —the first rendezvous between the two sides since the Bobcats knocked out the Eagles to win the 2017 MAC championship.

"They're going to be ready to come after us," coach Rob Smith said. "This is a really big series for us to get a couple of wins. If that's not enough to get the juices flowing, then there's no reason to put an Ohio jersey on this weekend."

Probable Pitchers

Friday, 6 p.m.: Eastern Michigan v. Ohio

Probable Pitchers: Justin McMurtrey (3-4, 3.65 ERA) v. Gerry Salisbury (4-4, 4.76 ERA)

Saturday, 3 p.m.: Eastern Michigan v. Ohio

Probable Pitchers: Jackson Shaver (0-2, 5.18 ERA) v. Derek Carr (1-0, 3.12 ERA)

Sunday, 1 p.m.: Eastern Michigan v. Ohio

Probable Pitchers: Luke DeVenney (2-1, 3.22 ERA) v. Butch Baird (2-3, 5.12 ERA)

The Eastern Michigan Report

Max Schuemann leads the Eagles in batting average (.371), RBIs (21) and runs (25). The infielder also leads the team with 16 stolen bases.

Eastern Michigan's pitching staff is led by DeVenny, who is 2-1 with a 3.22 ERA in eight starts. He has recorded 27 strikeouts in 44 2/3 innings pitched.

@anthonyp_2

ap02215@ohio.edu