Catch up on what you might have missed on 'Supernatural' this week. (photo via @cw_supernatural Instagram)

TV Review: A rift was opened during the latest episode of 'Supernatural'

Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) finally opened a rift into the alternate universe to save those they love during Thursday's episode of Supernatural. 

This week’s episode, “The Thing,” began in 1925 in Rhode Island, and men in robes men had chained a woman to a table, performed a cult-like ritual on her and opened a rift.

The boys scoured for any information about the Seal of Solomon, the last ingredient needed to open the rift. Eventually, Dean stumbled upon information that the Men of Letters found the seal in 1917, when they found a crystal that shone an “unearthly light” that was sent to a bunker in Rhode Island. 

In Rhode Island, the brothers found the bunker, which is dead ringer for their one in Kansas. Combing through the books, Sam fell upon a packet of information when suddenly they heard screaming. They investigated and learned that a young flapper girl, Sandy Porter (Magda Apanowicz), was kidnapped in 1925; 93 years later, Sandy still looked like she was in her 20s. Sam and Dean freed her and took her to a diner, and she shared what the Men of Letters did to her. 

They ordered their food, and the chef drugged the dishes. Robed men surrounded the table, and a fight broke out. Sam was the only one affected by the drug and was consequently kidnapped.

The cook, Marco (Ivan Wanis-Ruiz), and his sister, Ophelia (Tiffany Smith), and brother, Diego (Carl Montoya) — who were a part of the disbanded Men of Letters — explained that their great grandfather was a Man of Letters until he went insane. Apparently after World War I, he wanted to help save the world, so he summoned an interdimensional god to do the dirty work. That ritual was the summoning in the opening sequence. Sandy was long dead and gone — her body was just the vessel for the god, Yokoth. Yokoth apparently can’t be killed because when they tried, Yokoth ate all the Men of Letters.

Yokoth kidnapped Dean, strapped him to a table and prepped him to be the host of her one true love that got trapped in the rift 93 years ago. Just in time, Sam and the siblings busted in and saved Dean. Yokoth and her love were sent back into the rift. 

The boys were given the Seal of Solomon and, once they opened the rift, they would only have 24 hours until it closed again. The only ingredient left was the grace of an archangel.

The boys settled in after the case when Ketch (David Haydn-Jones) walked in with Gabriel (Richard Speight Jr.) Ketch explained that in hell, Asmodeus was making Ketch his subordinate. Ketch realized he was in over his head and wanted out. As leverage, he rescued Gabriel and delivered him to the Winchesters, so they could open the rift. In exchange, Ketch wanted protection. Dean took the bait and made the executive decision that he will go through the rift with Ketch. Sam stayed back to take care of Gabriel and open the rift again if Dean wasn’t back 24 hours later.

The episode opened the door for some major events. With six episodes left, the rest of the plot has a substantial amount of time to unfold in a time frame that isn’t rushed. Because Dean goes through the portal alone, the audience has reason to believe that some complications with the alternate world will arise, which could create tension between the brothers. 

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on The CW. 

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu