Nicole Schneider (left) and Landen Lama go over the agenda at the first Student Senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Aug. 30, 2017. (FILE)

Student Senate to appoint students to 16 positions

Ohio University Student Senate will vote on 20 resolutions at its Wednesday meeting.

Sixteen resolutions will appoint commissioners, a director, a chief of staff and a chief justice of the judicial panel to their respective positions. One resolution aims to formalize a relationship between senate and student members on the OU Board of Trustees.

Under senate’s current Rules and Procedures, there are no requirements for interactions between the body and student trustees. The resolution would require student trustees to attend senate meetings within a two-week period before a BoT meeting, to “gather input and answer questions ... concerning the operations of the Board of Trustees.”

The resolution also asks student trustees to attend meetings to inform senators of BoT decisions after they are made. They will also be required to meet monthly with the president of Student Senate.

Another resolution seeks to establish a “university policy review” standing committee, with the Student Senate president to serve as chair.

“The Committee shall be charged with reviewing all requests that are submitted to Student Senate pertaining to newly created or updated university policies,” according to the resolution.

It will also require members to review proposed changes to university policies and the faculty handbook. 

One resolution will amend senate’s Rules and Procedures to change the responsibilities of the Student Senate president. 

A final resolution will award Senior Honors to Alex Timko, Student Senate’s academic affairs commissioner. 

@flanneryjewell

fj206516@ohio.edu