Sam was kidnapped in the latest episode of 'Supernatural.' (via @cw_spn on Twitter)

TV Review: Dean's death might have been teased on 'Supernatural'

Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) stopped Rowena (Ruth Connell) in Thursday’s episode of Supernatural.

The episode opened with Dean, Sam and Cas (Misha Collins) gathering their thoughts on how to bring Gabriel back. They called Rowena with hopes she can help them track down the archangel for his grace to open the rift again. Rowena, however, turned to the dark side by killing innocent people for some reason. 

While the brothers chased down Rowena to stop the killings, Cas had the idea to find angels in heaven and make amends to could track down Gabriel. Cas made his way to the portal to heaven and expected to find an army of angels ready to fight him. The portal was empty and the only angel there was drunk. Before Cas found enough angels to explain his dilemma, he faced Naomi (Amanda Tapping).

The last time the audience saw Naomi was in season 8, when she infiltrated Cas’ mind and brainwashed him to destroy Dean. Naomi explained there were 11 angels left on Earth; none of the angels could leave heaven because they were needed to keep “the light on in heaven.” But Naomi was interested in working with Cas because if and when Gabriel was found, he could help power heaven back up. In the meantime, she closed the gates and sent Cas back to Earth.

On Earth, the brothers were on the run to stop Rowena from killing people before their time was due. Dean drove when Jessica (Kayla Stanton) popped in the car without a warning. Ever since Dean died in “Advanced Thanatology” and purposefully dodged her, Jessica watched the brothers. Death, also known as Billie (Lisa Berry), was interested in Rowena’s killings because they were throwing off the cycle of fate, and she needed Sam and Dean to stop Rowena. Jessica further explained if Rowena continued to kill people, fate would warp itself off track and Death would be forced to wipe the slate clean — “a mass kill-off,” like a plague or a war. Oh, and it was written that Sam would kill Rowena.

Rowna called the boys and set up a meeting to talk things through. Rowena admitted Crowley’s death affected her, and she blamed herself. She figured by killing those who have done wrong by her and their reapers, she would catch Death’s attention. That way Crowley would be brought back from the dead. After a turn of events, her bodyguard and Dean fought to the death. Dean won, and Rowena kidnapped Sam to kill him. In the middle of Sam’s death sentence, Billie appeared and was unaffected by Rowena’s magic.

The episode gives a subtle nod that Dean will probably die soon. As Death was leaving, she said, “See you around, Dean.” Buckle in.

The plot involving Naomi interested in helping Cas and the boys could prove interesting considering how different Naomi is from them. Also, knowing that were 11 angels in existence could bring to the table a new plot of season 14, which was just renewed.

Overall, the episode was OK — it wasn’t exceptionally exciting, but it did give the character arc about how Crowley’s death affected Rowena. After all, he was her son. The episode was also generally pretty positive — no one major died and no one cried. Compared to last week, this episode was an emotional win.

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on The CW. 

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu