Regional Higher Education Study Committee focuses to promote community partnerships

Ohio University President Duane Nellis is focusing his new regional campus strategy on gaining partnerships in surrounding areas. 

Nellis formed the Regional Higher Education Study Committee on April 19. Since then, Nellis has narrowed the focus toward communities surrounding those campuses and has set $17 million in reserves of OU’s fiscal year 2019 budget to fund several initiatives, including the new regional campus strategy.

“We want to figure out how we can create a sustainable and more enhanced model for regional higher education as part of the system of Ohio University,” Nellis said during the June Board of Trustees meeting. 

OU Chillicothe’s Dean Martin Tuck highlighted the college’s partnership with Adena Regional Medical Center (ARMC). Employees of the medical center who have an associate’s degree can attend classes in Chillicothe to receive a bachelor’s degree and be promoted within the system. 

“I just want to emphasize what strong partners Adena has been with Ohio University Chillicothe in really improving the life in this region,” Tuck said at the June Board of Trustees meeting.

Requirements for the program include face-to-face classes instead of online and the degree curriculum fits ARMC’s needs. The program is known as “6 on 6,” where students have class on six Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and receive six credits toward their degree. 

One third of students at the OU Chillicothe campus major in nursing. 

Jordan Pupero, director of learning and organizational development at Adena Health System, believes the program develops engaged caregivers who value learning.

“We are looking for opportunities like these all the time,” Pupero said. “I think  this type of program meets our needs we want to continue this kind of relationship … we are talking through what the next cohort will look like.”

Gwen Lanning, an employee of ARMC who is involved in the program, said the program has showed her that there is always more to learn within her job, despite already working in a management position.

“You think you know, but you don’t know,” Lanning said at the June Board of Trustees meeting. “It’s really helped me in my current role to gain confidence.”

ARMC also offers students tuition reimbursement if they get good grades, she said.

The regional campus strategy will be discussed at the board’s Dublin retreat in August. Nellis said this new focus toward regional campuses can create opportunities for lifelong learning within the community.

“This campus is truly a game-changer,” Nellis said at the June meeting. “But it also has the potential to even be more and we want to cultivate that relationship.” 

@julaphant

je827416@ohio.edu