Former baseball coach Joe Carbone lifts his hat to bid the crowd farewell before the start of his last regular season home game before retirement. Carbone finished his 24th and final season with Ohio in 2012. (Robin Hecker | File Photo)

Former Ohio baseball coach inducted to ABCA Hall of Fame

Joe Carbone, who coached Ohio from 1989-2012, has been selected for induction at the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame. 

Carbone will join six other inductees in the Class of 2019 for the ABCA Hall of Fame. Induction into the ABCA Hall of Fame is the the highest honor awarded by the association, according to its website.

The ABCA, which was founded in 1945 and created a Hall of Fame in 1966, is the primary professional organization for amateur-level baseball coaches. It has over 9,000 members from all 50 U.S. states and 25 countries.

Carbone garnered a 689-611-2 overall record as a coach for Ohio and has the third most wins by a baseball coach in Mid-American Conference history. He also won two MAC titles and coached Ohio's 1997 team that won a program-best 43 games.

Outside of coaching the Bobcats, Carbone also had an impact on a national scale. In 1999, Carbone was an assistant coach for USA Baseball's team in the Pan-Am games in Winnipeg, Canada. The team won a silver medal in the tournament and earned a spot in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia, where it won a gold medal.

Carbone also attended and played baseball for Ohio. He was a starter for three seasons (1968-1970) and was captain of the Bobcats' 1970 team that advanced to the College World Series. As a second baseman, Carbone also played across the diamond with future MLB Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt in 1970.

Since his retirement, Carbone has served as an associate scout for the Miami Marlins, assisting in Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia. He has also served as an NCAA site representative at the NCAA Baseball Championship Regionals and Super Regionals for the past five years.

Carbone's induction will become official on Jan. 4, 2019 during the ABCA Convention in Dallas, Texas.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu