Ohio's Quarterback Nathan Rourke prepares to throw the ball during Ohio's homecoming game against Central Michigan University on October 7, 2017. The Bobcats lost 23-26 (Blake Nissen | Photo Editor)

Football: Ohio's October schedule is a mixed bag

Editor’s note: This is the second of a four-part series. As the season nears forward, sports editor Spencer Holbrook will analyze each month of the Ohio football schedule.

September | October | November | Postseason

After navigating through a non-conference schedule that includes trips to Virginia and Cincinnati, the Bobcats will dig into Mid-American Conference play in October. 

Three of the Bobcats’ October opponents finished 2-10 last season, so it could be Ohio’s easiest month of the season. A trip to Northern Illinois is in the thick of October, though, and it could be telling for how the season will play out for Ohio.

Here is Ohio’s schedule for October: 

At Kent State (Oct. 6, 3:30 p.m., ESPN+) 

The Flashes are coming off a 2-10 season in which they were one of the worst teams in Division I. With Paul Haynes out, Sean Lewis will begin his first year as a head coach. Lewis, who is the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision, was an offensive coordinator at Syracuse under head coach Dino Babers, who previously coached at Bowling Green.

Kent lost quarterback Nick Holley from an offense that finished No. 127 in total offense in Division I and will now welcome Auburn transfer Woody Barrett to the offense. Barrett played at a junior college last season. Barrett has impressive physical ability and may pose a threat to the Ohio defense.

Defensively, the Golden Flashes return six starters from the 2017 squad that gave up 408.3 yards per game, leaving it with much need for improvement. Five starters will be seniors, and the Kent State run defense looks to be the strongest aspect.

Ohio and Kent State have met every season since 1949. The Bobcats are 43-25-2 all time against the Golden Flashes. Ohio shouldn’t have a problem handling the Golden Flashes to open conference play.

At Northern Illinois (Oct. 13, 3:30 p.m., ESPN Network) 

In what might be the Bobcats’ most difficult MAC game, Ohio will travel to Dekalb, Illinois, to take on Northern Illinois. The Huskies are 21-6 at home under head coach Rod Carey, have won 23 of their last 24 games against MAC East opponents and have arguably the best offensive and defensive line in the MAC. Northern Illinois could potentially enter the game with three losses; it plays at Iowa, hosts Utah and travels to Florida State, all in September.

Marcus Childers didn’t enter last season as the starting quarterback, but he led the Huskies in their final seven games of the season and was named MAC Freshman of the Year. He will begin his sophomore season as the starting quarterback of an offense that will return eight starters.

The Huskies return All-American defensive end Sutton Smith, last season’s MAC Defensive Player of the Year, to their defense that will be among the MAC’s elite. Ohio’s offense will be potent, but the Huskies have the best chance in the conference of slowing it down.

The last time the Bobcats played the Huskies was in 2015; Ohio won 26-21 in DeKalb in the final game of the regular season. October 13 will set the tone for the rest of the MAC season for the Bobcats.

Bowling Green (Oct. 20, 2 p.m., ESPN3)

The Bobcats will play the Falcons for their annual homecoming game; Ohio lost to Central Michigan on Homecoming last season. The Falcons, like Kent State, are coming off a 2-10 season. Just two years after winning the MAC, Bowling Green struggled to replace lost talent in each of the last two seasons. 

Quarterback Jarret Doege and running back Andrew Clair will lead the Falcon offense that putted through 2017. All-MAC wide receiver Scott Miller will be the top target for Doege. An area of improvement for the Falcons is along the offensive line. It’s an experienced group that can challenge the youth of the Ohio defensive front.

Defensively, the Falcons will return six of their top eight defensive linemen and five of their top eight linebackers. The defense could be the biggest factor in an improved record for Bowling Green. While only seven starters return, there is experience in all aspects of the defense.

Yes, Bowling Green has an experienced and talented defense, but Ohio’s offense may be too much for the Falcons.

Ball State (Oct. 25, 7 p.m., ESPN2/CBS Sports Network)

In the first week-night game of the year for Ohio, it will host Ball State on the last Thursday in October. Ohio is just 2-5 at home against MAC West over the last five years, but the Bobcats won the last meeting between the two (2015). Ball State is one of three teams Ohio will play in October that had a 2-10 record last season.

Running back James Gilbert was a first-team All-MAC selection in 2016, but missed most of last season due to injury. He’ll return this season with junior quarterback Riley Neal, who missed all but three games last season with an injury. Offensively, last season was a disaster due to the amount of injuries sustained. The offense will be improved this season, if it can remain healthy.

The Cardinals gave up 40.7 points per game last season, which was 124th in the FBS and worst in the MAC. The defense is now a year older, and a healthy offense will benefit the defense. Nearly 70 percent of the Cardinals’ tackles accounted for return this season.

With most of its talent returning from injury, the Cardinals could be bowl-eligible by the end of the season, but the Bobcats should be able to take down the Cardinals.

@SpencerHolbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu