Mischief Managed: Three ‘Harry Potter’ podcasts you have to listen to

Potterheads are always looking for reasons to revisit the Harry Potter series, and there is no better medium to do that than with podcasts. The intimate experience of listening to people talk about Harry Potter provides an immediate connection to the person on the other end of the microphone.

With classes starting, there is no better activity to do than listening to podcasts while walking around campus. Add these to your list of ones to listen to:

Potterless

Mike Schubert is a 25-year-old man who, for some reason, never read the Harry Potter books. To remedy this, he decided to make a podcast about it. 

Schubert reads the Harry Potter books one section at a time, and he brings fans of the series on to talk about it. Some of the guests are from other podcasts, mostly in the Multitude podcast family, and others are Vine or YouTube stars. 

“Potterless” is the perfect podcast for anyone who has wanted to reread the series but doesn’t have the time. Schubert recalls the books in great detail, pointing out the most ridiculous flaws in the books’ structure and writing (Nothing is perfect; not even the Harry Potter books) and making bombastic predictions, some of which are insanely spot-on and others that are, well, you’ll see. 

“Potterless” provides listeners with opportunity to recall the first time they read the books and follow along on the beautiful journey of listening to someone else do the same. 

Rating: 5/5

Harry Potter and the Sacred Text

In this Potter podcast, Vanessa Zoltan and Casper ter Kuile approach the books as if they were part of a religious text. Each episode covers one chapter, and the hosts look at it through a theme such as commitment, loneliness or fear.

Most of the episodes have a runtime of under 45 minutes, making it easy to listen to the episodes while driving or walking. But for those who really want to engage in the text, try meditating or doing yoga while listening. 

Before each episode of “Harry Potter and the Sacred Text,” read the chapter they will discuss and use the podcast as a study into the text. Look at the theme Zoltan and Kuile are discussing that week, and read it through the same lens. That practice allows listeners to fully envelope themselves in the text and remind them of what’s going on because the hosts don’t recount the series. 

Rating: 3.5/5

The Potterotica Podcast

As the hosts of “Potterotica” say, “This podcast is rated ‘H’ for horny.” Allie LeFevere, Lyndsay Rush and Danny Chapman take it upon themselves to hilariously read erotic Harry Potter fanfiction one chapter per episode. 

Each season is a new character pairing, so the listener can create their own experience by choosing which seasons to listen to. Between each season, the hosts read a shorter fanfiction called a “quickie.”

“Potterotica” is the perfect podcast for people who have never read fanfiction, let alone erotic fanfiction. LeFevere, Rush and Chapman make listeners comfortable by talking about the stories through a comedic lens. There are refreshing takes on the characters post-Battle of Hogwarts, and it lives out Harry Potter fans’ biggest fantasies, including a Snape-Hermione pairing in season one. 

Don’t be afraid to listen and laugh along to “Potterotica” in broad daylight. It’s not a podcast that people should only listen to in their bedrooms with headphones in. Listen on your way to classes, work or driving to a family reunion. Heck, even get your grandma to listen. She would surely appreciate the recommendation.

Rating: 4.5/5

Georgia Davis is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What is your favorite Harry Potter podcast? Tell Georgia by tweeting her at @georgiadee35