Ohio's Maria Russell dodges a defender during the Bobcats' game against Ball State on October 12. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio loses twice over the weekend

Ohio dropped its first two games of the season over the weekend, despite taking 33 shots — 25 on goal. The Bobcats were only able to score two goals in 146 minutes against La Salle and Monmouth. 

Ohio (0-2) featured six players in its first games as Bobcats, but it was the upperclassmen who were able to score the goals.

Friday

Ohio continuously threatened the La Salle (1-0) net throughout the game, but it could not score once as it fell 2-0 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 

It was the first game for head coach Ali Johnstone, and the attack created more opportunities than any game last year.

The 19 shots Ohio took were equal to the number of shots the Bobcats’ took in their first two games last year combined. Having 15 shots being on goal, it took a standout performance from La Salle goalie Emma Provost to not let Ohio score.

Most of the shots by Ohio came from the midfield, with 14, and all but three of them were on goal. It was the first time the four midfielders played together in a competitive game; two of them are in their first year at Ohio. 

Ohio was in control of the game despite playing without last season’s top goal scorer Kendall Ballard and starting goalkeeper Alex Pennington. 

Of the eight players new to Ohio this year, six of them made appearances in the opening game. Two started. Louisville transfer Jillian Shive started in the midfield and led the team with six shots, all of them on goal. Ashley Wilbur also started.

Ohio goalie Sophia Boothby made two saves but did not put on the same kind of performance as her La Salle counterpart, giving up two goals: one in the 15th minute and one in the 54th. 

Sunday

Ohio could not hold a two goal lead in West Long Branch, New Jersey, as Monmouth (1-0) won in overtime, 3-2. 

After being shut out despite 15 shots on goal on Friday, Ohio was able to score two goals on 10 shots on goal. 

On Ohio’s 20th shot of the season, the team scored its first goal, which came off the stick of Baker. In the 18th minute, she collected the ball in front of goal off a pass by Annmarie Hoppel and put it past the Monmouth goalie.

Three minutes later, the Bobcats drew their first penalty corner of the game and capitalized to go up two goals. Emma Eggleston, the lone Ohio senior playing, scored her fifth career goal off a deflection and assist from the freshman Wilbur.  

Both Ohio goals were scored by forwards Baker and Eggleston. It is the position with the most experience for Ohio as those two, along with Brittany Keen, are all upperclassmen who have played in a combined 116 games.

The comeback started in the 53rd minute as Monmouth scored off a rebound. Three minutes later, the game was tied as a Monmouth shot was deflected into the Ohio goal. 

Monmouth took a timeout in the sixth minute of overtime, and 40 seconds later, Monmouth's Elyssa Okken tapped in a cross for the win. 

The game was fairly balanced throughout. Monmouth had more shots and penalty corners, Ohio had more shots on goal.

Boothby had a career-high five saves but could not make the save in overtime after two Bobcats shots on goal were stopped.  

Ohio will be in Athens for five of its next six games beginning with Saint Louis on Friday and Liberty on Sunday. 

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu