The Innovation Center at 340 W. State Street. 

Ohio University joins network to match entrepreneurs with university startups

Ohio University joined Midwest Executives-on-Roster (XOR), an online networking portal that matches entrepreneurs to university startups, this month. 

The concept was modeled after the Southeast XOR program and led by the University of Kentucky’s Office of Technology Commercialization. OU is one of 11 universities that developed the new program, attempting to widen universities’ access to a range of executive professionals that will build businesses in the Midwest.

The platform will initially feature a total listing of 21 companies and 23 entrepreneurs.

OU’s contributions will feature four of its startup companies and technologies. Among the startups is BGI Therapeutics, which developed chemical compounds that can directly inhibit the food supply to cancer cells. 

Markets looking for these sort of compounds include cancer treatments like triple-negative breast cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, renal cancer and Leukemia. 

“The concept of online portals that match startups to entrepreneurs is gaining popularity,”  Bob Silva, the director of Ohio University’s Technology Transfer Office, said in a university press release.  

HepThera will also be featured. They’ve created chemical compounds that treat ongoing inflammation of fatty liver disease independent of alcoholism. Industries targeted also have to do with treatment. Because there is no single treatment for fatty liver disease, most therapy is aimed at patients who battle a disease in addition to fatty liver disease. 

LnR Technologies, which is based in Athens, developed copper technology designed to exchange heat for the heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration industries. LnR remains a step ahead of other refrigeration companies, as most heat exchangers are made of aluminum. 

Sunday Creek Pigments created a process to change acid mine drainage from Ohio streams into artist-grade paint pigment. The pigment can be domestically produced and manufactured by art supply companies.

Other universities involved in the network include: Indiana University, Notre Dame University, Ohio State University, Oklahoma University, University of Cincinnati, University of Louisville, University of Minnesota and University of Nebraska.

“Advancing research and technology innovations that can foster economic development in the State of Ohio and the Appalachian region is a strategic priority for Ohio University,” OU President Duane Nellis said in a university press release. “We look forward to working with our higher education partners to support and promote this new platform.”

@logan_rmoore

lm847015@ohio.edu