Courtesy of Pitt Athletics. 

Softball: Hermanek accepts new position as Pitt's coach

After a Mid-American Conference Championship win and an NCAA Tournament appearance, coach Jodi Hermanek announced Thursday her new position as the head coach of the Pitt Panthers.

“I am departing Ohio with such respect, love and gratitude for every student-athlete who assisted me in making Bobcat softball what it is today,” Hermanek said in a statement released via Twitter. “I have so much love and appreciation for Ohio and the Bobcat nation.”

Hermanek leaves behind a team that went 40-17 (20-3 MAC) and is primed to have another strong spring in 2019.

In her 10 years at Ohio, she posted a 289-252 record with two NCAA Tournament appearances, several MAC East division titles and one conference championship.

“The community of Athens and Ohio University will always carry a special place in my family’s heart,” Hermanek said.

As Pitt’s new coach, she takes over a program that’s on the rise. This past spring, the Panthers posted a 33-18-1 record. They also earned an Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division title, but ultimately ended their season in a 5-4 loss to Florida State in the conference championship game.

Of the Panthers’ 18 losses, one was against the Bobcats in a 6-1 final on March 27.

Hermanek, only the third coach in Pitt’s program history, will take over for Holly Aprile who submitted her resignation to become the coach at Louisville.

Aprile spent five seasons as an assistant before being promoted to the head of the program over 10 years ago. She compiled a 271-234 record and one NCAA Tournament appearance while at the helm.

Pitt’s fall schedule has not been announced at this time so who Hermanek’s Panthers will see in the fall is still unknown.

Ohio’s fall schedule contains exhibition games against University of Charleston (West Virginia), Ohio Dominican, Ohio Valley, Cedarville and Edison State. All games are scheduled to be played in Athens.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu