The Bobcats practicing Monday morning at Peden Stadium.

Day seven of football camp: Rourke looks like his old self; Zervos' leg is stronger

The Bobcats practiced Monday morning for the seventh time during fall camp. It was conducted in periods outside at Peden Stadium, with a total of 25 periods over two hours and 30 minutes. It was the third day with full pads. Here are The Post’s observations:

Attendance:

Absent: Elijah Ball (season-ending injury), Tyler Tupa (leg), Griffin Hites (leg), Austin Conrad (foot), De’Vante Mitchell (undisclosed), Zach Burks (undisclosed), Javon Hagan (non-football illness), Austen Pleasants (non-football illness).

Limited: Hagen Meservy (shoulder), Mason Bernhardt (undisclosed), Dante Ruozzo (undisclosed).  

Returned: Tariq Drake.

Attendance notes

• Hagan and Pleasants both do no have serious illnesses and coach Frank Solich said they’ll both be back at practice soon. 
  • Meservy didn’t sit through drills like he did Saturday. Instead, he wore his helmet and did some conditioning, but he didn’t wear shoulder pads. 
  • Joe Lowery and Kylan Nelson saw more reps in practice after a few days off.
  • Drake returned to practice for the first time since Wednesday. 

Observations:

Sights and Sounds

• Three scouts from NFL teams were in attendance: Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts. 
  • Monday was one of the shorter practices of camp so far. 
  • The Bobcats’ started practice with a fast-paced, competitive two-minute drill. It was the first time they started practiced this fall without individual work. 
  • Former linebacker Chad Moore came walked into practice during post-practice stretching. 
  • The offensive line mantra of the year — “You’re either the hammer or the nail.”
  • For the fourth straight day, there were no turnovers committed by the offense, which means no turnover belt for the defense. 
  • Sook Center update: Cement was being spread again and dirt was moved to finish landscaping. Was told that the inside is complete and just needs to be furnished. The bottom floor will be the main entrance of the stadium with a new box office and gift shop. 

Passing Offense 

• Nathan Rourke was 16 of 19 in some of his lightest work of camp. He completed passes to Andrew Meyer (four), Cam Odom (three), A.J. Ouellette (two), Papi White (two), DL Knock, Maleek Irons, Markel Davis, O’Shaan Allison and Ryan Luehrman (one each). 
  • Rourke hit White for an obvious touchdown pass in the third team period of the day. 
  • The junior quarterback also ran the ball outright three times during practice. His arm is back to full health and he has no problem running out of the pocket. It was possibly his best day of camp thus far.  
  • Odom, Luehrman and White each dropped a ball from Rourke. 
  • Quinton Maxwell was 9 of 19. Drew Keszei was 6 of 8, while Joe Mischler was 4 of 6. 

Offensive line

• There was a period in practice when the offensive and defensive linemen worked together in a mutually beneficial drill. The defensive linemen worked on stunts, while the offensive linemen worked on communication as they changed blocking assignments mid-play.
  • With Meservy still recovering from a shoulder injury and Pleasants out with an illness, coach Bart Miller was forced to put in some different linemen with first teamers. It’s become clear that Durrel Wood will start at right guard. Felipe Fernandez and Brody Rodgers moved around Monday between right tackle. 

Defensive plays

• It was a good day for the defensive linen as pressure was felt on the quarterbacks multiple times, for what would’ve been three blocks. The best play of the day came in the second team period when multiple linemen batted down a ball from Maxwell. 
  • Ilyaas Motley had a nice pass breakup, coming across a wide receiver to knock away an intended pass from Maxwell during 7-on-7 work. His brother, Xavier, also had one in a team period. 

Special teams

• During the first special teams portion of drills the focus was on kick return. Players worked on blocking, forming a blocking formation and returners caught balls from a JUGS machine. 
  • In the field goal portion after a team period, Louie Zervos hit a 52-yard field goal. That was the special teams highlight of the day, and Zervos' leg continues to look stronger. 

Next Up:

The Bobcats return to practice Tuesday at 8:40 a.m. It’s open to the public. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu