KYLE released his latest album, ‘See You When I Am Famous!!!!!!!!!!!!,’ on July 17, 2020. (Photo provided via  @SuperDuperKyle on Twitter)

Album Review: KYLE releases an average project with ‘See You When I Am Famous!!!!!!!!!!!!’

KYLE, the Ventura, California-based artist most known for his smash hit “iSpy (feat. Lil Yachty),” has released his newest album, See You When I Am Famous!!!!!!!!!!!!.

In February 2019, KYLE informed his fans via Instagram that he would be taking a journey into his past with this new project and provide a similar style that he gave in his K.i.D. and Beautiful Loser era back in 2013 and prior.

Beautiful Loser, KYLE’s debut album, was a solid album about his love for video games, girls and everything else that made him the “beautiful loser” he was. As his name grew bigger, his music seemingly became less genuine and more mainstream. This became evident with his No. 1 song on Billboard’s Hot Rap Songs Chart, “iSpy (feat. Lil Yachty).”

Following that song came “Playinwitme (feat. Kehlani),” another mainstream, dull-sounding pop song that seemed to have been made for the sole purpose of becoming another hit song. With See You When I Am Famous!!!!!!!!!!!!, KYLE seems to be torn between sounding genuine and making another hit. 

Only a couple of the tracks on this album are very reminiscent of KYLE’s early days — “GIRLS (feat. Rico Nasty)” and “Mr. Man & K.i.D.” 

“GIRLS (feat. Rico Nasty)” seems like a more mainstream version of his song “GirlsGirlsGirls” off Beautiful Loser.

While that song didn’t have the same nerdy, funny and corny feeling that “GirlsGirlsGirls” had, it was a track that provided a similar feeling to a younger, more genuine KYLE. “Mr. Man & K.i.D,” on the other hand, sounded like it would’ve fit perfectly on an older KYLE project.

His collaboration with Mr. Man dates back to at least 2011, with songs like “BANG” and “Chucks On A Wire,” among many others. “Mr. Man & K.i.D” is a song that gives off a sound from that early era; the others on See You When I Am Famous!!!!!!!!!!!! don’t do the same.

The first track, “Bouncin,” serves a great introduction with a perfect-sounding beat switch followed by smoothly flowing, braggadocious rap from KYLE. After that track, however, the album mostly fails to maintain that same hungry yet composed feeling the first track brought.

The following songs sound like KYLE was making another effort to make a hit pop song. “Money Now (feat. Tyga & Johnny Yukon)” and “YES! (feat. Rich The Kid & K CAMP)” attempt to be hits with catchy, repetitive beats and catchy, repetitive bars.

Other tracks like “Over It” and “Bye,” on the other hand, are more thoughtful tracks that seem more up KYLE’s natural alley. These tracks serve as not poppy yet catchy tracks that the newer-sounding KYLE does so well.

“The Sun (feat. Bryson Tiller & Raphael Saadiq)” is a simple yet somber track that features a very easy-going flow from all artists on the track, making it one of the best and most heartfelt songs on the album.

With a combination of “iSpy” imposters, tracks that are reminiscent of the younger KYLE and songs that sound more thoughtful and sincere, See You When I Am Famous!!!!!!!!!!!! is a very hit-or-miss project.

Rating: 2.5/5

@JoeyPerkins_

jp391418@ohio.edu