Penn State used two goals from George Saad to beat Ohio 4-1 Saturday night at Bird Arena and sweep the season series 4-0 in the last regular season games ever between the two bitter rivals at the American Collegiate Hockey Association level.

Like on Friday the Bobcats got on the board first when Jonathan Pietramala redirected a Duncan Green shot from the point past Penn State goalie Matt Madrazo for a 1-0 lead.

But the Icers responded quickly when Saad scored from a faceoff six minutes later on a shot Ohio goalie Teddy Dushkin didn’t see. Penn State then took the lead thanks to a Peter Sweetland breakaway goal seven minutes later.

Green was thrown out on a boarding call and given a five minute major eight minutes into the third, though the Icers took two penalties over their during the power play to make it 4-on-4.

But with just two seconds left on Green’s penalty, Penn State’s Saad scored on another breakaway from a nice feed from Eric Steniour to make it 3-1.

Ohio started the third with energy as it threw everything at Penn State to get back in the game, but two penalties killed any momentum. Justin Kirchhevel then ended things with Penn State’s fourth with six minutes remaining as the game fizzled out.

Dushkin made 31 saves in net for the Bobcats, while Madrazo stopped 24. With the loss the Bobcats fall to 21-11-1 on the year and Penn State improves to 21-3-1.

cd211209@ohiou.edu