Two high-sticking penalties, an unlucky bounce and one superstar celebrating his 500th game defined the Blue Jackets’ first loss of 2012. After taking an early lead, a series of frenzied plays zapped Columbus’ momentum and gave San Jose the 2-1 victory.

Scoring opened two minutes into the game when Mark Letestu flipped a nifty blind pass into the slot for Vinny Prospal.  It was the perfect reward for the Blue Jackets, whose swarming play to that point had left the Sharks standing dead in the water.

Then, midway through the first period, the dynamic of the game changed as Columbus’ Ryan Johansen was escorted to the penalty box to serve a double minor for high-sticking. It was an opportunity for San Jose create some momentum as well as even the score. The Sharks did both.

At first, the Blue Jackets’ penalty kill stifled the Sharks’ power play, garnering “boos” from the displeased crowd. However, the mood in the arena shifted after a scramble in front of the net resulted in the game-tying goal.

Ryane Clowe had knocked a bouncing puck past a defenseless Curtis Sanford. Sanford, returning from a bout with back spasms, made 37 saves in the game.

Shortly after Johansen emerged from the box, he was whistled for another high-sticking penalty. This time, San Jose did not score, but it put Columbus further back on its heels.

Nearly five minutes into the second period, the Sharks scored again. Joe Thornton, playing in his 500th game, batted a rebound out of the air into the back of the net. It would stand as the game-winning goal.

Down 2-1, Columbus tried to resort to physicality with hopes of creating a spark. The visiting Blue Jackets registered 18 more hits than their opponent, but even Rick Nash could not coax the Sharks into a potential game-changing fight. As the night drew on, the Blue Jackets maintained an aggressive forecheck and tight-checking defense, but could not force enough turnovers to make a difference.

San Jose goalie Thomas Greiss turned aside 23 of 24 shots to seal the victory.

mm938910@ohiou.edu