Columbus is no stranger to allowing late-period goals, though scoring them has been more of a challenge. Tuesday night, the Blue Jackets defeated the Edmonton Oilers, 4-2, with the help of a game-changing goal in the final second of the second period.

Trailing 2-1, Columbus was hungry to tie the game before the second intermission. The home team’s job was made easier when the Oilers’ Theo Peckham was sent to the penalty box with about a minute remaining in the period.

Despite battling a flurry of shots on the penalty kill, Edmonton goaltender Devan Dubnyk could not hold off Derick Brassard’s last attempt on goal as the puck bounced into the back of the net.

Brassard’s tally not only gave the Blue Jackets momentum for the third period, but it completely erased Edmonton’s early advantage. The Oilers had managed a pair of first-period goals separated by roughly two minutes.

In the third period, Columbus continued to roll. Only 32 seconds into the final frame, the Blue Jackets’ Derek MacKenzie snapped in a crisp goalmouth pass from recently acquired center, Colton Gillies.

The 3-2 lead held until the last minute of play when Columbus added an empty-netter to ice the victory.

Although Edmonton controlled the opening period, the Oilers could not sustain the pressure when countered with the Blue Jackets’ intensity in the final 40 minutes. Columbus amassed 33 hits in the gritty effort.

At the end of the first second period, goal-scorer Ryan Johansen attributed part of his team’s newfound feistiness to a spirited talk given by some of the team’s leaders. Although Johansen did not name the players who spoke at intermission, one man stands out as a distinct possibility. His name is Derek Dorsett.

In the absence of R.J. Umberger, Dorsett has befittingly filled the void as assistant captain. On track for a career-best season, the spirited winger continues to play a dual role as Columbus’ sparkplug and agitator. Dorsett logged a goal and 17:17 of ice-time against the Oilers.

The Blue Jackets return to action on Thursday against the Nashville Predators for the last contest of their four-game home stand. 

mm938910@ohiou.edu