Storybrooke needs a savior, but there is some confusion on who can and who should save the town

The story picks up from the premiere soon after the town realizes they have lost their memories. The dwarves, led by Leroy, who is also Grumpy (Lee Arenberg), go to the town line because they feel Storybrooke isn’t safe without a savior. A new curse is laid upon the magical town of Storybrooke by Emma (Jennifer Morrison), and weird incidents take place when a civilian crosses the town line.

Just as one of the dwarves is ready to cross the line, Regina (Lana Parrilla) arrives to stop them. The townspeople don’t feel safe anymore and are adamant on leaving Storybrooke behind. Regina tries to convince them to stay and they will find a way to save the town.

Leroy says, “Who’s going to save us if we do? You?” doubting Regina’s capabilities.

While Leroy and Regina are in the middle of fighting, one of the dwarves steps over. All appears to be fine until he turns into a tree. Yes, that really did happen.

via 33.media.tumblr.com

Going back in time in Camelot before the people of Storybrooke have lost all of their memories, they enter the castle where King Arthur (Liam Garrigan) resides. He introduces his new guests to his wife, Guinevere (Joana Metrass).

“Since we have been awaiting your arrival for so long, we’ve had enough time to plan a ball in your honor for tonight,” she said. I’m sure everyone could have seen this coming, sporadic balls happen all of the time, right?

Hook, rather than going to a ball, would rather go find Merlin to save Emma from becoming dark. Arthur reveals that he knows exactly where Merlin is.

Arthur takes them to a tree, and explains the tree is Merlin. The group does not question this at all. They accept the fact that it is perfectly normal that the greatest wizard of all time is a tree.

Tom Hanks  Really?

via reactiongifs.com

The only person who is capable of freeing Merlin from the tree is the savior. Emma is technically still the savior, but since the darkness inside of her is growing, performing magic would be very dangerous. So Regina, who possess the dagger that controls Emma, prevents Emma from stepping forward as the savior and claims to be the savior instead.