Aquaman 2011's issue No. 45 is as complex as the entire series thus far, twisting Arthur Curry’s journey further.

There is truly only one flaw within the entire 32 pages of Aquaman 2011's issue No. 45, and that is the “Monsters of the Month” variant cover on the third page.

The latest issue was released Oct. 28 and continues from what the last text box said, “Next: Aquaman… in space!”

Aside from the oddly composed variant art, the writing of Cullen Bunn and the pencilling of Trevor McCarthy compliment each other perfectly. Though the writing styles of Geoff Johns, Jeff Parker and Bunn are all very unique, it is McCarthy’s deviant artwork that makes the latest issues so powerful.

Ivan Reis and Paul Pelletier both had somewhat similar penciling styles, but McCarthy uses his skills to make the twist in the storyline in accord with how the art looks.

Issue No. 45 really dives deep into the idea of the alternate reality of Thule, which is described as ancient deviation of Atlantis that broke away from reality. More than just a rift in time, Thule becomes a metaphor that parallels Arthur Curry’s kingship as one that is illegitimate.

The beauty of this latest issue is that depending on how you interpret it, it could be a journey Aquaman takes to another world, or it is an internal conflict he dreams up to decide what to do to combat Thule’s attempt to overtake Earth.

Although a few scenes are cliche, the fact that none of the aliens Aquaman interacts with actually speak anything he or the reader can understand is genius. Giving the reader complete control of interpretation was an excellent decision.

Not only are these interactions up for dispute, but they also take advantage of the art to tell the story — something that is sometimes hard when each frame can only tell so much.

Following the previous issues of Aquaman’s New 52 reboot, we find a new version of everyone’s favorite sea king that is compassionate and righteous. His concern for the dying creature affected by artifices of Thule allows his character to transcend Earth.

What intrigues the reader is that as much as Aquaman is misunderstood almost every second, he still fights to save two worlds. He could go back home to his lighthouse with Mera and live a normal life, but he perseveres indefinitely.

@FrianBogel

bf111514@ohio.edu