Check out why Brooklyn establishes what it means to have a home, whether it be the one you came from or the one you created.

John Crowley’s Oscar-nominated Brooklyn is one of the most heartwarming, engaging films of 2015. Not only is it for the immigrants, but it’s also for anyone who has ever wondered where they came from or where they are going now.

The film is about a young Irish immigrant named Eilis Lacey (Saoirse Ronan), who is called to the shores of opportunity: America in the 1950s. Despite the heartache of homesickness and circumstances that arrive, Eilis creates a home of her own in Brooklyn, New York, and soon faces a tough decision on what kind of life she wants to live.

Based on the award-winning novel by Colm Tóibín of the same title, it is a timeless story that translates every human emotion when departing home into an unknown precipice that lays ahead.

Brooklyn delves into the very core of what it means to have a home. It encapsulates the universal feeling of dwelling in that strange in-between space where you don’t have an identity in your new place, but home is not, and never will be, the same as you left it.

Set as a retrospective view of a young immigrant that is very much what America’s future becomes, this film can’t help but make you ask yourself where you came from. Maybe your parents, grandparents or great-grandparents were immigrants, perhaps sailing over through Ellis Island and making a future in a big city like Cleveland, Boston or even Brooklyn. It’s that very core foundation that appeals to everyone, especially in America. It recalls that great nostalgia of hearing personal stories of familial ties to immigration.

The strength that Eilis has really makes the film resonate, reveling in beautiful scenes that at times make you want to laugh and then cry your eyes out. The universal feeling of the unknown and how you will begin to settle into it is eminent in the film. Throughout this story, her life in Brooklyn gracefully unfolds in front of her, and it isn’t long until she finds home within it.

It’s no wonder that this film is nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay and Actress in a Leading Role for Ronan's superb execution of Eilis Lacey.

Ronan, despite being hesitant to play Irish roles, seemed as though she was perfect for the part of Eilis Lacey. Her portrayal of Eilis is emphatically surreal, and it leaves you wanting to cry, laugh and take in life as she does.

The role of Tony, played by Emory Cohen, can be compared to none other than Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront minus the gang violence and always-looming danger. His brooding demeanor pales in comparison to his genuine care and irrevocable dedication to his love, Eilis, and it quickly becomes very apparent.

Another convincing role is that of Jim Farrell, played by Domhnall Gleeson. His sweet Irish disposition poses an enormous conflict for Eilis, and it causes you wonder where her future lies.

Overall, this charming feel-good film will strike a chord with everyone, and it is safe to say that it’s appealing for every type of audience. Brooklyn leaves you with hope for whatever the future may hold.

Catch Brooklyn at The Athena Cinema at 5:05 p.m., 7:35 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. everyday.

Rating: 5/5

@mmhicks19

mh912314@ohio.edu